My SDS-P25RX

I always wanted to put a P25RX into a enclosure with a display and audio amp.
Finally got it done after considerable time. I had a enclosure from a old freq. counter
and luckily the previous holes could be used or eliminated with the large rectangle
opening. I had to remove the P25RX circuit board because of size constraints.
I want to thank Goldmyne99 for his help with the Teensy display programming.
Without that, I would still be working on the display. I really appreciate it.
I plan on changing the front and rear panels with etched or silk screened aluminum.
I do not like the laminated printer paper. Just thought I would share it here.
I also posted the pics on the BTT forum from the Bluetail website.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
You know, you've ignited my interest! I'm thinking this might be a possible full-time alternative for my car. With all the components, how much do you estimate it would cost to cobble one together today, sans the case as, I'll probably go with a case printed in PETG.

You know, you've ignited my interest! I'm thinking this might be a possible full-time alternative for my car. With all the components, how much do you estimate it would cost to cobble one together today, sans the case as, I'll probably go with a case printed in PETG.
The case was the biggest problem. I used one I had from old project so, I had to remove the circuit board from the P25RX. I was hoping I didn't have to do that because then it would just be a matter of connecting things together. The USB switching gets a little complicated (I used 2 relays) but, for a mobile you would not need that, just take the cover off and hook it up to a PC if you needed to change something. Mounting the display was a bit of a challenge. I used a 1mm piece of plexiglass that sits flush with the cutout, and the display mounts behind that with some 2mm screws that are tapped into some small blocks of plastic with are glued onto the back of the enclosure (JB Weld). Teensy board, breakout board, speakers, PAM 8304 audio amp, touch display (not using the touch functions), switch, knob, connectors, etc. all that stuff probably was less that $60. I wire-wrapped the breakout board to the display. Didn't cost a lot but, the labor is another story. Teensy and ILI9341 display from PJRC: Electronic Projects and found a breakout board at Tall Dog Electronics Tall Dog.

Last edited:

Mophead

Premium Subscriber
I always wanted to put a P25RX into a enclosure with a display and audio amp.
Finally got it done after considerable time. I had a enclosure from a old freq. counter
and luckily the previous holes could be used or eliminated with the large rectangle
opening. I had to remove the P25RX circuit board because of size constraints.
I want to thank Goldmyne99 for his help with the Teensy display programming.
Without that, I would still be working on the display. I really appreciate it.
I plan on changing the front and rear panels with etched or silk screened aluminum.
I do not like the laminated printer paper. Just thought I would share it here.
I also posted the pics on the BTT forum from the Bluetail website.

Very nice!