SDS100/SDS200: MY SDS100 RECEPTION OVERALL HAS SUNK TO UNACCEPTABLE LEVELS (AGAIN).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
Have you ever heard of simulcast? Or tried to receive it with any non-SDS scanner? Go look through the archives, and you'll find hundreds of posts from people complaining about simulcast reception problems with their 996.

If you wear out a card from recording transmissions, replacing the card takes less than a minute. If you don't record, the card doesn't wear out, and card problems don't happen.
I disagree with your statement about the simulcast. I have a 325P2 and it receives fine on P2, as well does my HP2. It is all LOCATION LOCATION

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I disagree with your statement about the simulcast. I have a 325P2 and it receives fine on P2, as well does my HP2. It is all LOCATION LOCATION
Yeah, in specific areas where you're only getting signal from one tower. Anywhere you get a mix of signals from multiple towers, they will have problems. Doing head to head comparisons connected to a common antenna where multiple towers mix signals, the SDS got everything, the x36 and 996 got about 70%, and the HomePatrol got less than 50% of traffic.

In mobile testing, going frome one end of a parking lot to the other made the difference between 100% reception and nothing with everything but the SDS.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Can you go higher or is 32GB the largest size that will work?
32Gb is the largest side that Uniden "supports", meaning that if you are having troubles with a card larger than that, you're on your own.

Having said that, I've seen a few comments on people using 64Gb cards with no problems. I have not seen comments, either way, about 128Gb cards.

Ubbe

32GB are what can be accessed in native mode in a SD card. Bigger than that and the card interface needs to do some page flipping and not all can do that and some only work with certain brands of cards higher than 32GB. So yes, 32GB are the safest to use.

/Ubbe

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I have experienced excellent results with both my SDS100 and 200.

However, I am partial to my BCD325P2.

It really seems like a very solid, well built, radio to me, as if Uniden really put a lot into the 325P2.
That is because it is a digital BC125AT which has excellent radio guts (analog).

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Cold solder joint is a hardware problem, not software.
Both times my friend's SDS100 would occasionally work if you slapped it, so solder joint issues would be my guess. I said the exact same thing about one of his past Uniden scanners. More than one, actually. For a while, I saw and fixed a lot of them with unsoldered or badly soldered antenna or speaker connections, or both. Of course, the same thing was happening in Uniden made Radio Shack scanners, too.

Emoney250

I had a similar event happen with my BCD536HP. Slowly it stopped receiving Chico CHP 44.7 Mhz. I ended up getting a SDS200 and all was fine. I was still using the SAME exterior vehicle antenna as well.

I recently had to send me SDS200 off because it was GOING SILENT (that's another thread). Uniden sent me a NEW ONE (eventhough the paper said the one I sent was "operating to factory specs).

Yesterday I took a trip to Sacramento. I ABSOLUTELEY noticed I was receiving Redding CHP AND Sacto CHP from greater distances than my old SDS.

I'd hate to think Uniden does this on purpose (somehow) to their units just to get people to buy new ones.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'd hate to think Uniden does this on purpose (somehow) to their units just to get people to buy new ones.
There's no way for them to do that without a huge number of units failing long before the next model comes out.

tampatracker

An update on scanner repair - Uniden returned my unit having only replaced and reloaded SD card, nothing else. Which makes me wonder how deep they went, as the scanner is as deaf as it was before. Very Disappointing.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
An update on scanner repair - Uniden returned my unit having only replaced and reloaded SD card, nothing else. Which makes me wonder how deep they went, as the scanner is as deaf as it was before. Very Disappointing.

Programming issue but scanner itself is in working order it would appear?

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I had a 436 and a 536 for years while we lived in the Chicago suburbs. Now, moving to my new home in York, the 436 is basically silent. I get much more from the 536, but my new SDS 100 kicks ass. I do not think this is a defect with the 436/536; I blame three very big towers less than a mile from me. So, while i get fairly decent response here from my 536, the SDS 100 is needed, and in fact, kept the scanning hobby from crashing on me. FWIW. Greg

greggk

Premium Subscriber
TampaTracker...I feel bad for your situation, after spending the money. and it does not work. You said the Radio Shack scanner started going bad as well, over a period of time. If that was with both radios then maybe something outside your control has changed.
How long have you had this SDS? Can you return it for a new one? ; perhaps you can talk with the seller and see if he will swap it out for a new one for you, based on the fact that it is a very expensive scanner, and who wants a $700 paper weight.
I know that if Upman (RIP) was still with us he would help you out.

Another edit: I don't think this was change anything, but I'm running my global filter on "OFF." This gives me the best audio.

Wish you luck to resolve all this. Greg

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Yes, no problems there, just marginal reception.

You sent it in for marginal reception, and was returned the same? Trunking or analog? Did you try the filters..Global..Site/Department level? If analog, did you try filters and/or FM modulation instead of NFM?

Status
Not open for further replies.