My Shack - 2014 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Thought I'd post an update of my shack, as quite a few things have changed since 2012.

Shack1.jpg

Shack2.jpg

The PSR-400 has been replaced with a Kenwood TK-7150 as the primary radio for monitoring my county sheriff and mutual aid channels. The PSR-400 is now just used to monitor random stuff that I don't want to tie up another radio with, and the RSN4001 speaker is now hooked to my 996XT.

Shack3.jpg

I also added a Kenwood TK-2312 to my portable collection.

Shack4.jpg

With the exception of the PSR-500, all radios and the MCA204 multicoupler are now powered through a RigRunner 4008 mounted to a battery box (like this), which is fed by an Iota DLS-45/IQ4 power supply/battery charger. Currently, backup power is only provided by a small APC UPS that the Iota is plugged into, but I will soon add an Optima YellowTop D34 battery between the DLS-45 and the RigRunner. This whole setup is located behind the desk, mostly out of sight. I will have pictures of this up soon, as the wiring still needs some cosmetic work.

Also, the DPD custom vertical for the F5021 has been replaced with a Comtelco BS150XL3, and the DPD Omni-X has been replaced with a Comet GP-6NC.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Nice looking shack. May I ask the model number
of the Motorola external speaker. Thanks.
73's:Kevin.

Motorola RSN4001. It's an excellent quality speaker, and is extremely loud (13 Watts, 4 ohms).

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again everyone for the comments.

I've had a few PM's inquiring about where I got the desk. I bought it at Staples almost 5 years ago, but couldn't remember the name of it. After quite a bit of searching, I finally found that it's an OSP Design Mercury Corner Desk. Unfortunately, it looks like that model has been discontinued for a while, and they don't seem to have a replacement for it.

pgnsucks

It would be nice to see what you are doing on the outside if not all just inside antennas.

Antenna height?
Type?
Grounding?

Still the pics are very nice I may be asking to much have a good one:)

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
It would be nice to see what you are doing on the outside if not all just inside antennas.

Antenna height?
Type?
Grounding?

Still the pics are very nice I may be asking to much have a good one:)

No problem, although the antenna setup is nothing particularly special. Also please forgive the iPhone quality pics.

ant1.jpg

ant2.jpg

First antenna is a Comtelco BS150XL3-BC. It feeds the Icom F5021, and is mounted on a ~20' mast. With this setup I can hear virtually every public safety repeater in a 40 mile radius with almost no noise. When the band is open, this can easily extend out to 60-70 miles. Simplex mobile traffic can reliably be heard out to around 10-15 miles, and simplex portable out to around 5 miles.

Second antenna is a Comet GP-6NC. This antenna feeds all of the other radios (via a MCA204M multicoupler), and is mounted on a small, ~8 foot pole. Despite being at a lower elevation, the GP-6 performs almost exactly the same as the Comtelco on repeaters and bases, though there is a more noticeable loss of simplex range.

Feedline for both antennas is LMR-400.

Status
Not open for further replies.