My Storm Chasing/Skywarn Spotting Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoryD81

Nice setup and great video! I have seen this before actually. Maybe from a MN Skywarn page or something but I'm a Metro Skywarn Spotter too (MSW #9110) and those looked like MN tax exempt/1-ton truck plates! Have an 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi myself but my setup pales in comparison to yours so I will hold off on any pics or vids until I get that setup better or turn my old 1997 Chevy into a full blown radio shack on wheels...but still making it look good. You did well in that respect for sure! Great job!

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I only watched a little bit, but it sure does look nice.

Confuzzled

How about a lounge chair in your backyard? Authorities might have less trouble identifying your remains afterwards.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Skywarn

In my+ 25+ years of spotting, our first rule was spotter safety. Spotting and reporting then seeking shelter is one thing, chasing is not part of the plan.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
chasing is not part of the plan.

That's too bad. Insisting that people never leave their house to get into a better position for an approaching storm is a waste of resources. Proper training and leadership will help better locate mobile spotters in a safe and usable manner ahead of the storm.

xxdanielt3

Premium Subscriber
Looks really good. You have all the bells and whistles in that package!

Confuzzled

If you go mobile in response to the storm,that's chasing.
Not if you stay in your home region and work an assigned spot or area. Many of our spotters live in places that are heavily forested or in valleys where they can't see anything, so they go to clearings or other places where they can see farther.

That's entirely different than somebody geeking out a vehicle and traveling to other states to take pictures.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
That's entirely different than somebody geeking out a vehicle and traveling to other states to take pictures.

I guess I fail to see what the harm is in doing something like that. I used to drive a geeked out vehicle and travel all over the county shooting news stories. We're talking police chases, working multi-alarm fires, active shooter scenes, hazmat situations, and all sorts of other things that are far more likely to get you killed than chasing after a thunderstorm and taking pictures of it from a relatively safe distance.

I can understand the whacker factor to some degree in stormchasing but it sounds to me like you're passing judgement on this guy before you've even seen him in action. If you have seen video footage of this guy going out and doing something asinine, that's one thing but to pretty much call this guy a whacker without even seeing more than his truck is a bit much I think.

I dunno, I'm fairly new to the idea of chasing storms for fun and profit, but compared to flying down the freeway at 3AM at 100+ trying to intercept a high speed police chase while simultaneously dialing 4 news stations to score a sale of the video before the competition does and still somehow managing not become involved in a fatal wreck yourself, this storm chasing stuff seems pretty simple and relatively harmless. The key is knowing your limits and not ever losing a healthy fear of ***** that can kill you.

-AZ

lep

I live in GA and this is one of the States that regulates the use of Amber warning lights. I have such a State Permit, it is a sticker that is affixed to the inside of the windshield and is the color of the lights authorized.
In other words, the sticker is Amber or Red or Blue. (governmental owned vehicles and UC vehicles have some obvious exemptions). The procedure of securing a Permit is spelled out in Regulations. I don't recommend using lights without a Permit or a really good explanation at hand and some supporting documentation.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I have such a State Permit, it is a sticker that is affixed to the inside of the windshield and is the color of the lights authorized.

I don't think the permit authorizes them for chasing?

lep

I don't think the permit authorizes them for chasing?

"Chasing" is a relative term that is probably not legally defined. Permits in my State authorize a particular color Warning Light to identify a vehicle that is engaged in a lawful activity and to tell 'others' to allow the permitted vehicle to conduct it's business without undue interference. That's about as specific as I can get because every case is (would be) different.

Are you supposed to ignore Traffic Rules and drive around like a wild-man flashing lights? No, of course not,
You are expected to act in a reasonable, adult fashion and not to endanger yourself or others. If you act silly, you will no doubt wind up either under arrest (permit or not) or worse in an MVA.

Status
Not open for further replies.