My test is scheduled!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwitherspoon

February 2nd. Wish me luck or curse me. Whatever suits you. Do all of you guys actually repeat your station ID every hour? That’s ridiculous!

I know, I’m petulant. It’s just weird. Look out amateur band, I’m coming for you.

D.

Dwitherspoon

I wouldn’t call them classes. I downloaded the AARL app on my iPhone which has the practice test for the tech license for free. Or you can pay a small fee for all the questions to every class.

I started about 4 days ago. I’ve hit 90% plus on my last few go rounds yesterday and today. It’s 35 bucks and it’s done via video conferencing.

I’m not quite sure why they ask about things like wiring diagrams, asking you to point out the capacitor or resistor. That’s very antiquated and not at all germane to the actual use of basic ham bands. Haha, it’s like having someone who’s buying a DVD player go through a questionnaire about electronic theroy before you watch Top Gun.

They simply need to say don’t screw up this license we’re giving you. It’s odd and very old world.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
I’m not quite sure why they ask about things like wiring diagrams, asking you to point out the capacitor or resistor. That’s very antiquated and not at all germane to the actual use of basic ham bands. Haha, it’s like having someone who’s buying a DVD player go through a questionnaire about electronic theroy before you watch Top Gun.
And that illustrates the difference between being a licensed amateur radio operator who understands how the radio works, and an "appliance operator".
There's guys out there on the ham bands using radios that they built themselves. Experimentation is one of the ways the hobby got started to begin with.
Sure, that's not for everyone, but those questions are how the FCC insures that you "don't screw up this license "....

Dwitherspoon

And that illustrates the difference between being a licensed amateur radio operator who understands how the radio works, and an "appliance operator".
There's guys out there on the ham bands using radios that they built themselves. Experimentation is one of the ways the hobby got started to begin with.
Sure, that's not for everyone, but those questions are how the FCC insures that you "don't screw up this license "....

That’s my point! On the low end it should be stock, store bought radios. People trying to get into the hobby, not tradesmen who have a background in electrical, or who are ex military radio operators. Experiment in the general. Get people in the door for the technical. The FCC doesn’t care what you do on cell phones or what lude photos you send or receive on those bands, including to minors. Unless you get caught. The amateur band tests are a scam. Cell phones are much more of a risk! Yet, anything goes. I can comment financial fraud with my phone by hanging out at a WiFi hotspot, but the FCC doesn’t release a statement about not committing crimes with a cell phone.

It’s all really pathetic and sad. I could hire a hit man on my phone tomorrow and no FCC warning would be issued.

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
That’s my point! On the low end it should be stock, store bought radios. People trying to get into the hobby, not tradesmen who have a background in electrical, or who are ex military radio operators. Experiment in the general. Get people in the door for the technical. The FCC doesn’t care what you do on cell phones or what lude photos you send or receive on those bands, including to minors. Unless you get caught. The amateur band tests are a scam. Cell phones are much more of a risk! Yet, anything goes. I can comment financial fraud with my phone by hanging out at a WiFi hotspot, but the FCC doesn’t release a statement about not committing crimes with a cell phone.

It’s all really pathetic and sad. I could hire a hit man on my phone tomorrow and no FCC warning would be issued.

I’m not at all sure whether or not obtaining an amateur radio license is in your best interest sir. In spite of the fact that the hobby has indeed become more appliance oriented over the years, the vast majority of operators I’ve run across DO express a desire to embrace and exercise a more serious attitude about the hobby. Your mindset suggests a more careless approach toward the rules set forth under Part 97 of the Amateur Radio Service. The FCC doesn’t have much of an issue with cell phones because quite frankly, they’re geared primarily toward the masses, who generally lack the ability to recognize the difference between their ass and a hole in the ground! However, all is not lost because there’s an option for you that won’t require you to even possess an operating license. In fact, it was once an amateur radio band but was eventually reallocated by the FCC under Part 95 of the Citizens Radio Service. Can you take a wild guess as to what I’m talking about?

Dwitherspoon

I’m not at all sure whether or not obtaining an amateur radio license is in your best interest sir. In spite of the fact that the hobby has indeed become more appliance oriented over the years, the vast majority of operators I’ve run across DO express a desire to embrace and exercise a more serious attitude about the hobby. Your mindset suggests a more careless approach toward the rules set forth under Part 97 of the Amateur Radio Service. The FCC doesn’t have much of an issue with cell phones because quite frankly, they’re geared primarily toward the masses, who generally lack the ability to recognize the difference between their ass and a hole in the ground! However, all is not lost because there’s an option for you that won’t require you to even possess an operating license. In fact, it was once an amateur radio band but was eventually reallocated by the FCC under Part 95 of the Citizens Radio Service. Can you take a wild guess as to what I’m talking about?

I personally would be angry. You can choose not be, but I would be. I’m doing this as a lark, for fun, in my spare time. But the FCC makes a mockery of everything you stand for on the back of “rules” and “decorum”. Not even in the early 80’s did the FCC state or enforce any rules on that limited airspace that was early cell phone spectrum. It’s not even like they had to roll things back with the wheel of time due to increased demand.

They never cared.

Oh, but they care what gets said on the amateur bands! Best have your license and not curse!

It’s sad. What a poor ugliness.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It’s 35 bucks and it’s done via video conferencing.
Not sure who told you that an amateur radio license was $35. The FCC has issued an order saying that fee will be implemented, but I'm not aware that they have set a date for it.

The Volunteer Examiner team who conducts your test session can charge up to $15 to offset their expenses, and the expenses of their coordinator who processes the applications and sends them to the FCC.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
It's a sad fact that more and more people are getting FCC licensed these days with little respect for the traditional rules, regulations, protocols, and operating guidelines that we have long held dear to the amateur radio hobby. If these protocols are not respected and adhered to, amateur radio operators will soon be in the same class as some obstinate CB radio enthusiasts, which is why some of us still refer to the 11-meter Citizens Band as the 'Children's Band'. Just park at any given truckstop and give Channel 19 a listen. If one does not agree with the guidelines and protocols set forth in the amateur radio community, do yourselves a favor and find another hobby.

RockyBennett

Newby
I personally would be angry. You can choose not be, but I would be. I’m doing this as a lark, for fun, in my spare time. But the FCC makes a mockery of everything you stand for on the back of “rules” and “decorum”. Not even in the early 80’s did the FCC state or enforce any rules on that limited airspace that was early cell phone spectrum. It’s not even like they had to roll things back with the wheel of time due to increased demand.

They never cared.

Oh, but they care what gets said on the amateur bands! Best have your license and not curse!

It’s sad. What a poor ugliness.

In my opinion, I do not think that amateur radio is for you.

Just saying!!!!!

And unfortunately I won't even wish you good luck on your test.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Agreed with the others on this one, I'm afraid. If you don't want to learn anything technical in a technical hobby, or ID using your call sign when you're supposed to, I don't think amateur radio is fro you at all. Sounds like you should stick to CB or some other service where people don't care what goes on.

I will agree that there are certainly questions on the tests (particularly General and Extra) that are way too technical and way too silly, and the tests should focus more on the rules and regulations more than anything else, but I don't see that changing anytime soon.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Guys, as much as you'd like to jump on the bandwagon about "amateur radio may not be for you", let's give the guy a chance. He hasn't even taken his test yet, so we are a little premature in saying he'll be a bad operator.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Guys, as much as you'd like to jump on the bandwagon about "amateur radio may not be for you", let's give the guy a chance. He hasn't even taken his test yet, so we are a little premature in saying he'll be a bad operator.

Could be true, but when you start your thread by saying IDing at the regular (and required) intervals is "ridiculous," and that the rules and regulations are antiquated and silly, I wouldn't expect to have the red carpet rolled out.

Imagine if the hobby was aviation and he said the statements he did, and had the same general attitude. Is that somebody you would want flying around in the same airspace you occupy? Nobody is going to die in ham radio, but it's still not at all the attitude I want from somebody joining my hobby.

AK9R

Super Moderator
If it was aviation, he'd have a CFI who was working with him on a regular basis to teach him the rules, the techniques, and the "zen of general aviation". Sadly, we don't have that in amateur radio to a large extent. Folks study (memorize) online, take their tests online, get an email from the FCC with their license, buy a radio online, look up local repeater frequencies online, and never have 1:1 contact with another ham until they press that PTT button.

I will say that I think I'm a better amateur radio operator due to interaction I had with other amateur radio operators online (well, dial-up BBSs and FidoNet) in the months leading up to my first license exam. So, let's set a good example for the guy and try to politely nudge him in the "right" direction.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
If it was aviation, he'd have a CFI who was working with him on a regular basis to teach him the rules, the techniques, and the "zen of general aviation".

It's not the techniques, learning, or skills I speak of...it's the attitude. You don't go into aviation saying the FARs are ridiculous. You don't go into amateur radio saying the regulations are ridiculous.

He might end up being a great ham, and I'm more than happy to help nudge him that direction. At the least, if it doesn't work, 75m will have a place for him once he upgrades to General. ;)

Dwitherspoon

Amen.

Yeah, I’m rough around the edges. All the possible edges. But also responsible. A hell of a lot of fun and Also incredibly interesting. Look at this little deal I put together to seal the coffin on my CB endeavors. I’m not going to blow up ham radio, but some social conventions might do by the way side.

Haha, you guys do kill me though. I had folks over last night “Friday” in their mid twenty’s. My wife playing barkeep and myself wanting to put a bullet in my head.

The one thing these millennials were interested in besides my NES and Sega genesis? Was the novelty CB radio radio on the counter. NOT A SINGLE PERSON KNEW WHAT A CB RADIO WAS OR A HAM RADIO. We had 40 people come through.

They know what it is now and think it’s cute. It’s cute, is the overwhelming consensus. “So why don’t you use your cellphone is my personal favorite.” “You’re old school.” “Let’s all croud around the mic and act like it’s the 70’s.” “You know about all that old stuff” “How 90’s and retro cool” “breaker breaker”was the theme for the night.

Yes. Amateur or CB is a joke to people today. I was called “delightfully tacky, yet amusingly unrefined.” Sometimes I think people will take liberties knowing I’m an officer of the law and maybe in that is the reason why peo

Oregon is an acquired taste.

Attachments

• 4B8C9FAE-014D-42BB-BAF3-0D650C248BB7.jpeg
    4B8C9FAE-014D-42BB-BAF3-0D650C248BB7.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.