My trusty PRO 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrman987

Hello,
New to here. I am retired EE and a rail road buff and can can be found on various railfan forums and youtube under my rrman987 handle. I also exists as KC0TKF as 2 meter, but inactive for several years since moving to new home where reception is limited no towers allowed. Also having a ham call allows me to use scanner in car in all states in case smokey pulled me over.

That said I use(d) a Yaesu FT60 because I could program a band with all 97 railroad frequencies, but it was a pain in the tushy to use. You had to carry the FT60 users manual just to do simple tasks like lockiing out a frequency. So at a local hamfest, this ham had the like new Pro 95, manual and programmer cables, and I snatched it up no questions asked. Love it as everything is right on front panel and have all my frequencies right there and other bands devoted to specific railroad that run in Iowa.

So whats the question? None. I am hoping that this unit hangs together until I go to the great beyond!! Since RS is no more I assume that repairs are impossible.

I wondered if there is an antenna thread that debates (nicely please) magnetic mount antenna vs chopping a hole in roof to get a real ground or if a mag mount can capacitively supply enough car roof ground plane. I picked up a no name scanner mag mount antenna at hamfest and for moment have it on top of metal file cabinet.

73s

a417

I wondered if there is an antenna thread that debates (nicely please) magnetic mount antenna vs chopping a hole in roof to get a real ground or if a mag mount can capacitively supply enough car roof ground plane. I picked up a no name scanner mag mount antenna at hamfest and for moment have it on top of metal file cabinet.

73s
You can use the forum search feature at the top right of this page to search to your hearts content.

rrman987

Is/are there equivalent scanners that at comperiable to the RS pro 95 as far as full keyboard and with better sensitivity and selectivity? Everyone will have favorites and pro/cons I know, but just wondering if I want o upgrade. I prefer the full keyboard rather than a shirt pocket sized unit that requies alot of button presses and menues to get something done.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
For hand-held models, the PRO-95 became the PRO-97. Then simultaneously GRE started selling models with their brand, but really the same as the Radio Shack models. After the PRO-97 came the PSR-300 and PSR-500 P25 capable model. Next was the PSR-310 with a better display. All of these models are obsolete, GRE is out of business (assets bought by Whistler) but will work fine for RR.

CycleSycho

Hello,
New to here.... ....So at a local hamfest, this ham had the like new Pro 95, manual and programmer cables, and I snatched it up no questions asked. Love it as everything is right on front panel and have all my frequencies right there and other bands devoted to specific railroad that run in Iowa.

So whats the question? None. I am hoping that this unit hangs together until I go to the great beyond!! Since RS is no more I assume that repairs are impossible.

73s

:) Hello and welcome to Radio Reference (RR) rrman987, as you know the best placement for optimum reception (depending on your vehicle direction in relation to the tx's of course) is center of roof (BUT) as you said drilling a hole for direct coupling to the ground isn't an option. A mag mount would be preferred if wanting to keep the car metal pristine and since you're only using the antenna as a receiving antenna, I believe you are OK given you couple the outer conductor to the car ground. As you know, there may be an issue with vehicle noise but of course there are solutions for that as well. An old fashioned 'trunk-lip' mount might solve most of the coupling issue, but then again, there would be that paint and allen screw issues for the vehicle metal oxidation. As you know, whatever you choose trial and error will prevail. About the future repair options, there is a few places that the membership has used (I myself have not needed one yet so I don't remember those places) so maybe the membership can chime in and let you know of their preferred places to have a Pro-95 fixed. :)

:) Good luck with your RR rx'ing! :)

CycleSycho

o_O What is 'unsure' about using a mag mount and keeping the metal pristine? He doesn't wish to 'drill' a hole in the roof. Also, a 'trunk-lip mount also 'cuts' into the paint where the allen screws tighten up on the trunk lip. Not to mention (but am), the top outer portion of a trunk-lip mount does some paint damage by virtue of clamping it for an extended time. Are there trunk lip mounts that do not 'clamp' like they did years ago (that couples to the car frame with paint damaging screws)? Please explain. o_O

a417

o_O What is 'unsure' about using a mag mount and keeping the metal pristine? He doesn't wish to 'drill' a hole in the roof. Also, a 'trunk-lip mount also 'cuts' into the paint where the allen screws tighten up on the trunk lip. Not to mention (but am), the top outer portion of a trunk-lip mount does some paint damage by virtue of clamping it for an extended time. Are there trunk lip mounts that do not 'clamp' like they did years ago (that couples to the car frame with paint damaging screws)? Please explain. o_O

I think you need more single quotes. ;) Ever seen what a mag-mount does to a roof over time? Sure, there are some fringe cases where people have escaped w/o any damage, but most of them end up marring the surface of the paint. Not exactly 'pristine'.

CycleSycho

I think you need more single quotes. ;) Ever seen what a mag-mount does to a roof over time? Sure, there are some fringe cases where people have escaped w/o any damage, but most of them end up marring the surface of the paint. Not exactly 'pristine'.

:) I've never used a mag mount on paint, only a vinyl roof, but point well taken if anyone leaves it on continuously (I wouldn't). I've also removed said mount after any stop (don't wish to come back and find the end of the RG cable hanging off the door). :)

rrman987

Guilding the lilly, but what if you placed a thin cloth, say silk under magnet to minimize chance of paint damage? Would slightly decrease capacitive coupling but unsure if impedes magnetic strength, especially at highway speeds.

nd5y

Guilding the lilly, but what if you placed a thin cloth, say silk under magnet to minimize chance of paint damage? Would slightly decrease capacitive coupling but unsure if impedes magnetic strength, especially at highway speeds.
The farther the magnet is from the metal surface the weaker the attraction.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
but what if you placed a thin cloth, say silk under magnet to minimize chance of paint damage?...but unsure if impedes magnetic strength, especially at highway speed
I've used a thin sunglass cleaning cloth in the past beneath a magmount on my vehicle's roof. No noticeable damage to my paint & it withstood highway speeds even through rainstorms without toppling. Just gotta clean the bottom of the magmount of dirt & debris occasionally and you should be fine

CycleSycho

there is a long time, esteemed member here on RR that would say…
“Just drill the damn hole!”🤣

:) I would agree with drilling on an ole time vehicle (ever pick up a fender on those ole time vehicles?) but with today's vehicles the damn thing would fold back at speed and pull out (as cheaply thin the sheet metal is nowadays). ROTFLMAO! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.