My trx-1 and the "E"......

Status
Not open for further replies.

fires999

Morning, ( Yes here in England )
Sorry to disturb those watching the Superbowl - Everyone here at the FireHouse is glued to the tv ....but someone ( yes, me !) volunteered to stay in the Watch/ Dispatch room just so we didnt miss that Crash phone call !!!!!
So searching the 400mhz P25 here and "E" appears with duck voice audio....What button do I press to decode it ?
Seriously, and regarding a previous post asking about my next purchase, where do you think I should spend my money ?
Here in UK I need : Mil Air of course !...vhf from 138 - 225 and 380 to 480 dmr , p25 for the few Bases including ours and before you all shout " Encryption "...again in one of my previous posts, transmissions have been in the clear - why I dont know and for how long for this error arises, again I don't know.
So basically is there a TRX - 4 , 5 or 6 coming anytime soon do you think ?
Blue light or First Responders over here or the majority use Encrypted Tetra and as this is currently being changed to the new ESN Emergency Services Network voice/data over cellular, that's a no go for us here in UK to try and monitor. Not into SDR really unless there is a magical & mysterious decode button ( apparently to be located right next to the female G spot !!!!!.....basically never to be found )
I know you're not mind readers, but do you reckon I just sit tight and wait ? Or dabble with alternative but similar capabilities of my trusted TRX 's - what I mean by that is Uniden or AOR..... OR do I dust down my old bearcat crystal scanners from the US capable of low band FM and wait for conditions , sun spots and the audio from a cop chasing someone down the road and out of breath ..lol !

Thanks for bothering to read and big thanks if you reply,

Now waiting for post - game breakfast and 24 hrs more of US Airforce here in very wet and windy East of England and USAF in Europe.
Fires 999

belvdr

No longer interested in living
You cannot decrypt transmissions on a scanner.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Morning, ( Yes here in England )
Sorry to disturb those watching the Superbowl - Everyone here at the FireHouse is glued to the tv ....but someone ( yes, me !) volunteered to stay in the Watch/ Dispatch room just so we didnt miss that Crash phone call !!!!!
So searching the 400mhz P25 here and "E" appears with duck voice audio....What button do I press to decode it ?
Seriously, and regarding a previous post asking about my next purchase, where do you think I should spend my money ?
Here in UK I need : Mil Air of course !...vhf from 138 - 225 and 380 to 480 dmr , p25 for the few Bases including ours and before you all shout " Encryption "...again in one of my previous posts, transmissions have been in the clear - why I dont know and for how long for this error arises, again I don't know.
So basically is there a TRX - 4 , 5 or 6 coming anytime soon do you think ?
Blue light or First Responders over here or the majority use Encrypted Tetra and as this is currently being changed to the new ESN Emergency Services Network voice/data over cellular, that's a no go for us here in UK to try and monitor. Not into SDR really unless there is a magical & mysterious decode button ( apparently to be located right next to the female G spot !!!!!.....basically never to be found )
I know you're not mind readers, but do you reckon I just sit tight and wait ? Or dabble with alternative but similar capabilities of my trusted TRX 's - what I mean by that is Uniden or AOR..... OR do I dust down my old bearcat crystal scanners from the US capable of low band FM and wait for conditions , sun spots and the audio from a cop chasing someone down the road and out of breath ..lol !

Thanks for bothering to read and big thanks if you reply,

Now waiting for post - game breakfast and 24 hrs more of US Airforce here in very wet and windy East of England and USAF in Europe.
Fires 999
Yes obviously you are joking 999 as you indicated and we know that you know you can't pick up encryption, I got the joke LOL. I wouldn't know what radio to recommend because I don't know what your market is over there and what's available.

As far as a trx- 3, 4 or 5 coming out soon, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say probably not LOL.

MStep

Yes obviously you are joking 999 as you indicated and we know that you know you can't pick up encryption, I got the joke LOL. I wouldn't know what radio to recommend because I don't know what your market is over there and what's available.

As far as a trx- 3, 4 or 5 coming out soon, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say probably not LOL.

I have to agree with trentbob that there are likely no new radios coming out anytime soon since most of the higher priced units now available can pretty much decode (NOT decrypt) almost all of the currently used digital technology. Of course, manufacturers always surprise us. Being bandied about last year was a rumor of a Whistler TRX-100 and 200.

If you get bored with the current crop of "scanners", you might consider bumping up to a more "professional" communications receiver with some scan capability. The two leaders right now are the AOR-DV1 and the Icom R8600. Figure about $1500 - $2500 USD, and both units cover the frequency ranges you mentioned, but BUYER BEWARE, no DMR on the Icom8600 and NO TRUNKING on either radio. Both also cover the shortwave spectrum for some possible mil-air activity.

Many aviation enthusiast were excited a while ago when AOR announced a more dedicated aviation receiver, the AOR7400, but alas, it seems to have slipped into oblivion.

P.S. The Uniden SDS200 has an amazing display, if you're into pretty faces. As usual, always the proverbial fly in the ointment. You have to pay extra on the Uniden for some digital modes. including DMR. And if you want to drop about 4 grand on one radio, the AOR5700 looks like a nice "toy".

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
The Whister TRX-100 and 200 were announced, and then cancelled a few years back. The fact that we've seen no new scanners from Whistler since that time makes people wonder if they are just going to continue to sell their current products (based on designs from a previous manufacturer) for as long as people keep buying them.

CycleSycho

The Whister TRX-100 and 200 were announced, and then cancelled a few years back. The fact that we've seen no new scanners from Whistler since that time makes people wonder if they are just going to continue to sell their current products (based on designs from a previous manufacturer) for as long as people keep buying them.

:) I've come to the realization that Whistler is not going to develope any new scanners because over the years I have believed that encryption coming into play will end the scanner market for many ppl who want public service (digital upgrading to most markets for much and almost all public service). I saw the writing on the wall when the TRX-100/200 was shelved, the turnover to encryption isn't going to stop either IMHO. :)

MStep

Since the OP mentioned mil-air, and others here are lamenting that there appears to be nothing new on the horizon since the technology has pretty much stabilized. all the more reason to lambast AOR for their fumble of the AOR 7400 aviation receiver. Here we were to have a radio that would have covered all of mil-air and commercial and private air frequencies in a neat package, and with aviation, the least of the worries would have been either digital or encryption. The capability to monitor 4 frequencies simultaneously. And can you imagine all that nifty scan and search functions to boot! So what could have been one of the hottest sellers for enthusiasts scrapped, perhaps also in relation to Covid, since it was announced at about the same time Covid was ravaging Asia. But times are a-changing--- will someone give AOR a shake back there in Japan and see if anyone is still awake and aware of this opportunity.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Well, shoot, I guess I missed the joke. Sorry!
I was going to jump on it faster than you did but he started his next paragraph with "seriously though" that's the only way I knew. No offense to you ;)

Ubbe

In Europe practically all "blue light" public safety services are encrypted and many business systems as well, and it still sales scanners in EU. Both Uniden and Whistler have E models for Europe, not that they differ much from US models, just a modification to the default frequency bandplan settings that doesn't take up much development resources to do.

Before encryption where introduced 20 years ago there where scanners built in our country specifically made to scan the police bands. There where also imports from Japan and China with specification that matched the police systems they would monitor. At that time lots of people listen to the police bands as it was great entertainment and lots of vehicles had scanners. All that died and now it's probably 1/100th of the number of scanners being sold.

Almost all communication from security and watch guards at sports arenas, shopping malls, amusement parks and so on use encrypted DMR or IDAS. What's left are air and marine and construction workers and some business and industrial plants. The most activity here comes from different radio systems for cement trucks. Even HAM radio are extremely inactive. Most operations seem to have changed over to cellphones and apps as it generates hardly any costs to their users, compared to having your own 2-way radiosystem. If you see a police documentary show from Europe you'll see that they often use their cell phones more than their radio.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.