My work shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7MFC

WRAA720
I recently started a new job and was finally able to set up a mini listening post at my desk:

uBej2vz.png

tDmZ3d7.png

On my desk is a BCD325P2 and a Pro-2021. Both radios, the PC, and audio output from my phone are sent to A Behringer Micro Mix MX400, and out to my Sony studio monitor headphones or the cheap-o Logitech PC speakers.

ka1njl

That looks great. I especially like the mini mixer and headphones. The entire set up is unobtrusive, you can control what you listen to and you won't disturb anyone else. It looks like a perfect way to enjoy your hobby while at work.

Railcon51

Excellent setup ive got a simlar setup in my office as well works great!!!!!! I love the scanning hobby.

Murenovich

Not the Flatlands, Not the Mountains in NJ
On my desk is a BCD325P2 and a Pro-2021. Both radios, the PC, and audio output from my phone are sent to A Behringer Micro Mix MX400, and out to my Sony studio monitor headphones or the cheap-o Logitech PC speakers.

I have been looking for something to mix all my scanners into one output thank you so much im going to order one and give it a shot!

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
I can monitor at work, too, and do. Funnily enough, I also work in Scottsdale, we use ThinkVision computer monitors and the swinging arms they’re mounted on. If the desk was different I’d think we worked at the same place. Lol. I work for an insurance company, though.

prcguy

Its very nice your employer lets you bring and operate radios at work. Or do they know what you are doing?? Right after I hired into my last job the subject of emergency comms came up with my management and I was about the only licensed amateur, so I kind of voted myself the emergency comms guy. I was very lucky and at one point had various multiband HF dipoles set between two 30ft tall light posts 200ft apart and a 20-6m vertical and tri-band 6m, 2m, 70cm vertical and a Discone for scanner use.

Radios changed all the time but I always had HF through 6m, 2m, 70cm and various scanners on or under my desk running most of the time. The company paid for various runs of 1/2" Heliax coax through the building and everything was taken apart and installed several times as I had to change offices over an 18yr span.

My office also had several pay satellite TV systems with no channels barred, a 40" monitor and a nice stereo system with Tannoy System 8 speakers and a powered sub. Going to work at that place was a lot of fun, even without all the radios and antennas.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Its very nice your employer lets you bring and operate radios at work. Or do they know what you are doing?? Right after I hired into my last job the subject of emergency comms came up with my management and I was about the only licensed amateur, so I kind of voted myself the emergency comms guy. I was very lucky and at one point had various multiband HF dipoles set between two 30ft tall light posts 200ft apart and a 20-6m vertical and tri-band 6m, 2m, 70cm vertical and a Discone for scanner use.

Radios changed all the time but I always had HF through 6m, 2m, 70cm and various scanners on or under my desk running most of the time. The company paid for various runs of 1/2" Heliax coax through the building and everything was taken apart and installed several times as I had to change offices over an 18yr span.

My office also had several pay satellite TV systems with no channels barred, a 40" monitor and a nice stereo system with Tannoy System 8 speakers and a powered sub. Going to work at that place was a lot of fun, even without all the radios and antennas.

I don't know if this question was meant for the OP or not, but figured it was relevant to my earlier comment about being able to monitor at work. We are allowed to listen to music while at work as long as it doesn't disturb others (ie:with headphones) and so a scanner would not be viewed as anything different than that. My manager knows I listen to a scanner and has never had a problem with it. If it was a CB type radio or Ham or something, that would be a different story because it would potentially involve something that would take my attention away from my job, but since a scanner is just listening, it's okay.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Nice set up you have there. I thought I would share my work set up.

Does the amplifier work? My office is inside a small office inside of a building (all metal studs and i-beam construction) so it doesn't receive well. I can get vhf analog pretty decently but the 700/800 P25 system is hit or miss in here...

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the amps do work well. However, they are at the end of the line. I have an outdoor mag mount antenna on the roof, run through a 4 port active multi coupler. I use the amps to help bring in some weaker VHF/UHF signals. I don't have any problems with 700/800, both the G4 and SDS100 aren't connected to the outdoor antenna.

K7MFC

WRAA720
I can monitor at work, too, and do. Funnily enough, I also work in Scottsdale, we use ThinkVision computer monitors and the swinging arms they’re mounted on. If the desk was different I’d think we worked at the same place.

Haha yep, those monitors are standard-issue IT department equipment at the last few jobs I've had.

K7MFC

WRAA720
I don't know if this question was meant for the OP or not, but figured it was relevant to my earlier comment about being able to monitor at work. We are allowed to listen to music while at work as long as it doesn't disturb others (ie:with headphones) and so a scanner would not be viewed as anything different than that. My manager knows I listen to a scanner and has never had a problem with it. If it was a CB type radio or Ham or something, that would be a different story because it would potentially involve something that would take my attention away from my job, but since a scanner is just listening, it's okay.

Same here, music, podcasts, etc are OK to listen to (with headphones), so no issue listening to the scanners at my job. A few people have asked what the radios were, noboy really cared or was all that interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.