Myrtle Beach Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlindsay

Premium Subscriber
I live in the Myrtle Beach area and am thinking about buying a scanner. Have listened online for a while, but I want something that I can take with me without internet. Definitely want portable. I am pretty sure it is primarily analog here, but not 100% sure. What would be best for this area?
Thanks!

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Regarding digital vs. analog: if you're interested solely in Horry County public safety, and you're thinking short-term as far as your scanner purchase (say, to get your feet wet in the hobby), then an analog scanner will be sufficient. If you're interested in City of Georgetown PD, or tac channels for Midway and MIGC FDs, or Williamsburg Co, or Charleston Co, or some state agencies, or you're thinking about a long-term purchase, then a digital scanner is the way to go. More and more agencies will be moving to digital communications - most that can be monitored, some that can't be monitored - in the coming years.

Personally, I'm a GRE/Radio Shack scanner fan. So, if you're content with an analog scanner, a PRO-164 would be a good choice for you. If you're looking digital, a PRO-106/PSR-500 is your best bet. Others can offer suggestions for radios made by Uniden. Now is a good time to find some radios on sale, particularly at Radio Shack.

In addition to the radio, you'll want to invest in some additional items: a programming cable, programming software, the RadioShack 800MHz rubber duck antenna, a good set of NiMH batteries and an external battery charger.

Hope that helps.

rlindsay

Premium Subscriber
I was looking into Horry as well as for when I travel around the state maybe something for Highway Patrol. Absolutely Midway and Georgetown, though. So digital is the way to go I guess. Will look at the scanners you suggested.
Thanks!

Drafin

For traveling on the GRE side don't forget to check out the GRE PSR 800. But do the research on all the model folks suggest. The 800 is a little easier to program for traveling but you sacrifice a bit of flexibility that the 500/Pro106 offer.

Draf

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Drafin's right on about the PSR-800. Now that you've confirmed you're going with a digital radio, the PSR-800 is worth consideration. If you're looking for something a little more user-friendly, somewhat easier to program, with more of a "set it and forget it" usage, then the PSR-800 is a nice option. Its memory (the amount of channels it can store) is virtually unlimited, it integrates well with the RR database, and you don't have to purchase special programming software, cables or power adapters (it uses standard USB connections).

Uniden has a digital offering that provides a higher level of simplicity along with a lot of other unique features in the the HP-1.

The PRO-106/PSR-500 and their mobile equivalents offer some additional flexibility if you're interested in the details of the hobby like analyzing trunked systems and searching for new channels/systems. It's still my favorite radio in my fleet. And of course Uniden has their comparable model in the BCD-396XT.

I'll be happy to share a Win500 configuration file for the PRO-106/PSR-500 and mobile equivalents for the MB/Grand Strand area if that's what you choose to go with. You can use that as an example/starting point. Same with the PSR-800 configuration, once I get that configuration completed.

sfd901

Myrtle beach area frequencies

Brian do you have a file for the pro106 in either the win500 or the butel software for the emergency services in horry county. RR has a lot of useless channels that are not active, I will be there for a few weeks next month and want to get scanner setup.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
File is sent, Tom - check your messages.

You'll probably find those same useless channels in my config as well - take the good with the bad, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.