• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mysterious Cobra 29 LTD not working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jluck001

So my friend from work gave me his older Cobra 29 LTD (The one with the mic plug coming out the side instead of front) for use in my Jeep and I was super excited to try out this new piece of kit but there is a big problem. Once all hooked up the radio does not receive anything, no static, nothing. When I key the mic, the SWR meter doesn't move at all and the TX/RX light along with the channel display goes completely black. I also cannot hear anything coming out of my PA speaker when switched to PA. I opened the radio and took a look inside (pictures below) and saw what looked to be modifications to the main board but I am not sure if it was just built that way. Has anyone else had this problem?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6409.JPG
    IMG_6409.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6404.JPG
    IMG_6404.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6403.JPG
    IMG_6403.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 44

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Those don't look like modifications. The first photo appears to be two capacitors that are there to suppress some noise on the power input.
Not sure what the second photo is, but a capacitor to ground.
Third photo is a resistor, but looks stock.

If the radio won't do anything when you key up:
Make sure you are feeding it with 12volts DC off your vehicle battery or a power supply large enough to supply 3 or 4 amps.
Make sure you have a properly tuned antenna installed.
Make sure you are using the correct microphone.

If it still doesn't work, you may have to see if someone knowledgeable in these radios can assist. Or just ditch it and buy a new CB for $40.00.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Hard to say. My first thought was wrong or bad mike because the T/R switching sometimes all happens in the mike. But you should have some lights on the panel. What about the fuse? I agree those are factory parts not some goofball golden screwdriver mods. It is worth more unmodified even if broken.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Where are you getting power to run this radio? The newer Jeeps require some $35 adaptor to get switched power from the ignition.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Wondering if he found the problem. Excellent suggestions have been posted.

WB9YBM

Once all hooked up the radio does not receive anything, no static, nothing. When I key the mic, the SWR meter doesn't move at all and the TX/RX light along with the channel display goes completely black. I also cannot hear anything coming out of my PA speaker when switched to PA.

All audio is processed through a single I.C. that handles squelch, amplification to the speaker & P.A. speaker, from the microphone, etc. Sounds like that I.C. might be blown. The ones I've seen don't look like a typical I.C. in that it has only a single row of pins (instead of the usual two), is stood up and mounted to a heat sink.

138BG

Any side mic 29 has been around for a while. Lots of aging component issues possible. Close inspection of solder side (magnifying glass maybe) could reveal cracked solder joints from mods or age. On component side check closely for areas where brown glue was used to secure larger components (large caps, crystals, inductors, transformers, etc.) Over time the glue turns corrosive and conductive, will eat component leads and board traces. Have all electrolytic capacitors been changed? They are all probably past their expected lifespan. Just a few of the likely possibilities.

138BG

Maybe the info will help someone else with a similar situation then. Lots of great old Uniden boarded radios still around with the potential nasty glue issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.