Mysterious Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renegade16

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,

Stumbled upon a video today of Mark Mianulli-- Legend Dispatcher 281 for Bronx FDNY. At about 0.20 seconds into the video a strange beeping noise starts up. I am from Columbia, Missouri and I still hear our radio system do that today. Anyone know what it is???

LINK TO VIDEO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-8rjrzR0XQ

Thanks,
Adam

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Strange beeping?

The strange beeping is Morse Code! It says KED962. According to FCC records this is a New York City call sign. It is an automatic identifier. Many public systems and ham radio repeaters use them. Our local systems use Morse, but the code has no PL, so you don't hear them if you are using decode. Whatever you're hearing is the call sign(s) of the systems you're listening to.

W8VFD

Feed Provider
Morse Code ID's

I know with the systems around my area that if the ID is in progress and someone keys up the repeater the ID starts over again, some people think it's a game to do it time and time again, quite annoying listening on a scanner on carrier squelch, thank goodness for full PL capability so I don't have to hear the ID's.

RF-Burns

The Sound You Hear Is The Repeater Identifier. Per FCC Rules, All Commercial Agencies Must Identify Their Station Call Sign Every 30 Mins. Some Agencies Do It More, Some Do It Less. In A Repeater Operation Morse Code is Used To Identify The Call Sign Permitted For That Frequency.

If You Listen To Any Ham Radio Repeaters You Will Hear It. On Trucked Systems You Will Not Hear The Morse Code ID. The ID Is Built Into The Control Channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.