Mystery 800 MHz Trunked System

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Hey gang,

I had a nice afternoon on the deck drinking coffee and scanning.

I figured out you can find control channels on the 396XT by playing around with the settings.

I set a custom search on the 800 MHz band just to see what I'd find.

I got a hit on 855.7875 MHz and the display read :

iveg49.jpg

What am I seeing here? There isn't a county named Kitsap in Missouri..I'm located in Pulaski County and it's a very strong signal on the rubber duck.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
Did you reset your scanner after you got it? I remember my BCD396 having preprogrammed state trunking systems in it. So even though you were searching, it is associating that CC with a preprogrammed ID.

dpm3

Kitsap County is located out here in Western Washington. I'd go with the suggestion that perhaps the scanner has automatically associated the frequency with a system programmed in it's firmware.

wtp

just one question (now)

so when my 396xt searches 851-854 and hits my county it should say CHARLOTTE COUNTY and not the 582Ah that my 396t and 396xt does?
it could be that the programmer for the system was having fun or he might be from washington and thought no one would see it.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Did you reset your scanner after you got it? I remember my BCD396 having preprogrammed state trunking systems in it. So even though you were searching, it is associating that CC with a preprogrammed ID.

No, I did not reset it. You might be on the right track though. It's hitting on some system stored on memory.

Kitsap County is located out here in Western Washington. I'd go with the suggestion that perhaps the scanner has automatically associated the frequency with a system programmed in it's firmware.

The first thing I did was look up Kitsap County and found it was only located in Washington state.

I searched through the scanner's memory and did not find any system located in Washington state.

The scanner has the ability to read system names on C-Ch only I believe. That's why I'm still thrown for a loop with "Kitsap County". lol..

UPMan is Kitsap County programmed at the factory for that frequency?

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Try searching/scanning Washington State and see if the scanner stops on that same trunked system.

Sorry if anyone else already suggested that.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Try searching/scanning Washington State and see if the scanner stops on that same trunked system.

Sorry if anyone else already suggested that.

There's no stored system from Washington state. But good thinking.

Oh well...guess it'll stay a mystery. lol.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
The control channel does not send out system "names". System names are "associated" with System ID's by the users and are not part of the control channel information.

wtp

so

so the fact that i have seen polk county ,lee county, sarasota county,pinellas county,de soto county and others as i have driven around with none of them being in the 396xt means what ??
to me that means that it is in the data being sent out. and my own county says 582Ah and not charlotte like is in the radio.
hey, if you want to test it then name it "unknown" as a system and see if that pops up.
i still say someone was having fun on the system name.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Your scanner has been programmed with those names. It does not come across the control channel. A good example is when you put your scanner in the ID Search mode and it finds a new talk group it will display a number, not an alpha tag. Same goes with system names. Until you program in an alpha tag it will display a number. If it shows names they either came from the pre-programmed systems/talk groups already in the radio or were added manually.

wtp

the point

i had driven up 75 and the radio said polk county without it being programmed in the radio.
and what about my county just having a number and not the name i put in???
after having the radio (396t) i wiped out all the systems except my own and was traveling around the country.
in custom search with cc on almost all the county systems gave their name. it was easier to search at the time 866-869 and let the radio do its thing then to program where i would be going.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber

wtp

yes

but i do not see how the radio would check your systems to give a name to a search system. and what would happen if two control channels were the same (overlap) but not in the same area?

wtp

a re-read

now i see what some of them thought ...
they thought that it was a programmed system.
they had not noticed the search as in custom search.
so i stand by my posts.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
now i see what some of them thought ...
they thought that it was a programmed system.
they had not noticed the search as in custom search.
so i stand by my posts.

I didn't run any pre-programmed systems. I did a control channel search.

wtp

yes

but everybody else read it wrong. they thought it was a programmed system. and yes if it was that would happen.

but did you find out where it is?

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
but everybody else read it wrong. they thought it was a programmed system. and yes if it was that would happen.

No that's not what we said. We stated that it was one of the pre-programmed systems placed there by Uniden when they ship out.

The control channel is not sending any type of data that the scanner could decode and then form a site or system name without SOMEBODY creating the name on the scanner/radio end.

Even the actual radios used on the system see the system and associated sites as numbers and letters as they are usually stated in the database.

Factory reset your scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.