Mystery NXDN activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
You have to imagine all the fleet talk systems as if they are one big multi state system. Since technically they are. Covering Florida to New York and west out to Kentucky and Tennessee. It's a huge system and occasionally a talk group gets pulled across the network. People could take their radios with them on trips or vacations and turn it on to pull their groups from Florida up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, I know.... it's just making the Supply NC site part of the South Carolina system vs. North Carolina.... On the other hand, I've seen this area many times referred to as being part of the Myrtle Beach business district vs. the Wilmington area... but that probably has nothing to do with anything. Like many things in the DMR and NXDN world (vs. public safety systems, etc.) - just odd.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
So I was looking at other threads and came across one from a year ago you had posted in:
https://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/344818-how-improve-nxdn-scanning-3.html

Post number 104 states the following:
Simplest course of action is to just see if composite control channels (voice on control) is part of the site's feature set.

Sync:+NXDN48 TB CCDATA SRV_INFO Category=Local System=2004 Site=6 MultiSite LocnReg GrpReg Auth CompCC Voice Data ShortData Status&RemCtl

I would watch this site (15) and see if you see that in the CC data. That will quickly verify your thoughts with the voice on control situation happening.

Kanoy Communications is aka Gorilla 911.

Off topic...

Wow...I moved away in 1999 so I always dealt with David from the radio and paging side (from my FD days). I guess the family business has grown up and out. I read an interesting article about their work with Ocean Isle Beach on their wastewater SCADA system.

troymail

Silent Key
So I was looking at other threads and came across one from a year ago you had posted in:
https://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/344818-how-improve-nxdn-scanning-3.html

Post number 104 states the following:

I would watch this site (15) and see if you see that in the CC data. That will quickly verify your thoughts with the voice on control situation happening.

Couple of interesting thoughts on this ...

- I don't recall ever seeing that (#104) response to my post earlier this year... not sure why... I guess I didn't look and don't always get the emails for posts on subscribed threads...

- in any event - that was a slightly different situation - it was an extremely active 4 frequency system with a control channel where if all (3) available voice channels were in use, the control channel frequency would become a voice channel for a time (full system utilization)

- in the case of the Supply 463.9 signal (and as was the case with a similar system in Towson Maryland last year), there seem to be situations where there is only 1 active frequency for the site which is nearly always a control channel but becomes voice when a call is made and then returns to a control channel.

I suppose in some ways it may be the same (or similar) to the 4 channel system I mentioned above except that is seems like there is only 1 frequency configured or available... but that doesn't jive with DSD+ reporting 2 other channels (frequencies) that are supposed to be available...

On the other hand, this whole Fleettalk system is just a mess as far as I can tell...

EDIT: I've been playing with the active keys for DSD+ but cannot find a way to display the kind of things that are listed in post #104 that was referenced. I've been playing with 1.5 and 1.101 which seem to be the last couple of public releases.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking it's possible for it to be a single frequency site and have the behavior you were talking about. But I can say that my DSD+ also sometimes displays frequencies that get no activity at a site. I tend to watch the voice traffic and then add the ones I see in use. It's possible it's advertising those other two frequencies but that the admin of the site has them disabled for some reason. There is a site here with a frequency that at times will stop being used at times and I can tune to it and hear strong interference. So I and potentially assume that the system my be able to use those two frequencies you're seeing but isn't for some reason. DSD+ also seems to at times pickup false frequencies.

As far as it being a mess... well that just adds to the fun/challenge of figuring it out. :) We all have to get out there and put DSD+ to the test to solve this. The good thing about this system is that there are channel numbers to decode... I'm sure you've tried to so this same thing on a CAP+ or CON+ system which gives you no help at all. I'm still trying to work on a CON+ system here that has exactly no licenses it feels like.

troymail

Silent Key
For those playing along (anyone, Bueller?)

I've had radios monitoring 463.9 along with DSD+ running continuously for a couple of days now. See some small amount of additional voice activity - most very brief as if something is temporarily patched or a radio switches to the talkgroup or something. The only steady activity is TGID 353 which is clearly outage/restoration crews for Randolph Electric Membership Corporation in and around Asheboro NC.

Here's some of the activity seen:

TG 388, RID 6540, 6541, 6542 ("Dispatch Medic 12 on scene <xxx> Manor") - can't make out the word before manor; limited activity seen on 3 different dates

TG 373, RID 5355, 5354, 5350 (unkn discussion about nearby Carolina Shores and Calabash - I assume NC)

TG 356/357, RID 4978, 4977

TG 353, RID 7 (busiest TG, all activity same RID)

Very little activity seen on DSD+ but some matches the voice activity from the radio:

Current site: L219-15
Current site: L39131-15
Current site: L7916-4
Deaffiliation; RID=4977 ACCEPTED
L219-15 neighbor: Site L219-20; CC=97
L219-15 neighbor: Site L219-4; CC=102
L219-15 neighbor: Site L219-7; CC=673
Registration; RID=3921 TG=292 ACCEPTED
Registration; RID=4836 TG=355 ACCEPTED
Registration; RID=4838 TG=355 ACCEPTED
Registration; RID=4965 TG=357 ACCEPTED
Registration; RID=4970 TG=357 ACCEPTED
Registration; RID=4972 TG=357 ACCEPTED
Registration; RID=4977 TG=357 ACCEPTED
Registration; RID=5350 TG=373 ACCEPTED
Registration; RID=5353 TG=373 ACCEPTED
Registration; RID=5354 TG=373 ACCEPTED
Registration; RID=61 TG=65 ACCEPTED
Registration; RID=6539 TG=388 ACCEPTED
Registration; RID=6541 TG=388 ACCEPTED

troymail

Silent Key
Recent additional observations from CC on 463.9 (Supply, NC):

TGID 156 - RIDs 1248, 5396 - discussing traffic at 385/85 (Greenville SC?)

TGID 388 - RIDs 6540, 6541 - "Dispatch to Medic 11", unit reporting on scene

TGID 373 - RIDs 5355, 5353, 5354 - unit reporting clear of Sea Trail (Sunset Beach NC?)

TGID 356 - RID 4977

DSD+ reported (since 9/1) TGIDs: 65, 116, 156, 283, 292, 355, 357, 373, 388

Status
Not open for further replies.