Mystery on 46.280

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Just trying to figure out what this strange transmission is lately on 46.280. I've included an edited version here containing the call sign Morse, but of course if you look at the database you'll get not only the KGC337 you hear in the sample, but also an entry for KC4875...the "noise" happens fairly regularly, three to four times a minute. The signal is S5 here in mid-town Bawlmer. I know of no local source that would be responsible for such a signal; even a baby monitor wouldn't act like a VOX hookup (do they make VOX baby monitors? I don't have children but I can't imagine a more worthless product) Guesses, anyone?

Attachments

• 46.280edited.zip
    176.2 KB · Views: 79

SonicN

I do know that here in Norway, we have babymonitors in the 40mhz-band, and it might just be that for you also. And they do make VOX baby monitors.
My 1$ is on a baby monitor :)

jim202

With the calls that you have listed, they belong to Baltimore County for 2 locations, Luther and Rosedale,
MD. There is also a mobile license on the same channel. My bet is that your hearing some sort of
cross band link that is tripping on noise.

If your that concerned, give them a call. The FCC provides the telephone number of 410-887-1878 as
a contact number.

Jim

Just trying to figure out what this strange transmission is lately on 46.280. I've included an edited version here containing the call sign Morse, but of course if you look at the database you'll get not only the KGC337 you hear in the sample, but also an entry for KC4875...the "noise" happens fairly regularly, three to four times a minute. The signal is S5 here in mid-town Bawlmer. I know of no local source that would be responsible for such a signal; even a baby monitor wouldn't act like a VOX hookup (do they make VOX baby monitors? I don't have children but I can't imagine a more worthless product) Guesses, anyone?

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
The call sign (the prominent one) is Baltimore County Fire's lowband F-2 identifying from the transmitter in the Falls Road/Brooklandville area.

I'll listen in to 46.28 tomorrow and see if I get a hit on the strange noise. It does sound like someone moaning into the mic. Actually FREAKED me out at first, has a "spooky" sound to it, anyone agree?

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
It's offline, now. I'll pop over once in a while and see if it comes back, though...

Maybe in the meantime someone can explain to me why you'd have a baby monitor with VOX...I thought part of the reason to have one was to hear the baby breathing......?

dpm797

Vox on the baby monitor actually monitors for any noise. It is used as a power saving feature. Monitor is almost in "sleep" mode until noise or voice is heard.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Interesting..."Honey, is the baby dead?" "No dear, it's that power-saving monitor system you picked up..." Oh well....learn something new every day...

The fascinating world of baby monitor technology notwithstanding, the mystery of 46.28MHz will apparently go unsolved...thanks for your input anyway, fellers....

doctordave

I think there was simply some kind of patch system or transmitter problem. Copied it 5/5 in my area too (Northern Balt Co) and it was on both 46.28 and 39.72. Looks like they fixed the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.