Mystery Signal On 26.690 MHz, Too Funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacombMonitor

I just had a funny experience! I've been playing around with a NRD-545 shortwave receiver, and I picked up an un-modulated carrier with a strong signal on 26.690 MHz AM mode. At first I thought maybe someone keying/tuning a C.B. But it didn't stop, and there was no modulation. Then I went to my computer to Google the frequency and suddenly I heard what sounded like Morse code! Suddenly it dawned on me! It's my Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0! :roll:

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I've tried doing it with mine, but never found the frequency. I have a Logitech Cordless Click Optical Mouse.

MacombMonitor

You might search the 49 MHz band. That is another area used by license free, low powered devices.

mam1081

Feed Provider
I did that once too! I was doing frequency searches slowly going up and down the spectrum with an analyzer on the PCR-1000. I kept seeing this thing "blip" up. Once I clicked on it, by the time the RX tuned it in, it was gone. Rats. So I clicked somewhere else in the spectrum, and there was that signal again - tried to get it again. Then it dawned on me that it was only active while my mouse was moving, or I was clicking. Mystery solved!
:D

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I read an article a few years ago by someone who was doing weak-signal DXing CW. He spent several hours trying to get comms going with a very elusive signal...turns out he had spent the night "working" a bad compressor motor in his refrigerator that was putting out all sorts of RF spurs while on its last legs.

mancow

Database Admin
UPMan said:
I read an article a few years ago by someone who was doing weak-signal DXing CW. He spent several hours trying to get comms going with a very elusive signal...turns out he had spent the night "working" a bad compressor motor in his refrigerator that was putting out all sorts of RF spurs while on its last legs.

:lol: Haaa, that's a riot.

What a fool.

RadiationX

I had this problem too lol, but it usaully is on CB ch19 and if you have a Cb on that channel and key up, the mouse will stick and do all sorts of weid crap

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It only goes to show CB is loaded with mice.

"...weak-signal DXing CW. He spent several hours trying to get comms going with a very elusive signal..."

Either one of those "urban ledgends" spun for the benefit or a moron who didn't realize imediately he was copying gibberish.

"Don't forget to check where your keyboard is from time to time..."

Give it a cell phone and tell it to check in at hourly intervals. If it stays out past curfew turn it upside down and give it a few good whacks.

roadranger

keyborad

What I really meant was, that your keyboard does emit signals just like an antenna, so that it is possible to pick up noise from your computer. Just like any other "emitter", move it away from the receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.