Mystery "Site" Gets Entered Automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtlmd

I am more than a little puzzled about something that happens with my BCD 536HP. Let me illustrate this way: Right now, I have it working fine and as an example of my problem, I follow a number of State Patrol talk groups in Minnesota, all on the same system (ARMER). I have this Favorite called "State Patrol" listening to four different sites in succession during scans. I see my scanner looking through these four programmed sites as it scans the various programmed TGID values for the State Patrol. Then, sometimes I will notice that a new site has been added to the list of sites I programmed prior. Right now I see one onscreen and it has the name, SITE Aug 19:16:02. This is the same format that I always see when this happens. Apparently, something happened at 1916 hours central time tonight but I will be damned if I know what that could have been.

What does this mean ? I have not added any new sites myself. Does this mean the scanner is picking up some site besides one of the four that I programmed and wants to tell me about that ? This does not make much sense to me.

I can go into the "Manage Favorites" menu and delete these extra "sites" and this action never has any adverse effect of any kind. I simply cannot understand why this SITE gets added on top of sites that I have chosen and programmed previously. It has happened on other Favorite lists besides my State Patrol list.

If the 536HP User Manual were written with more clarity and logical organization, perhaps the answer could be found in there---I cannot find one however.
This happens almost every day, too.

mitbr

Someone is adding sites wit5hout naming them, is there anyone else besides yourself that has access to your scanner?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Wild stab in the dark: You're hitting Enter on a talkgroup and it is saving it to the current favorites list, and creating a site in order to do so.

Either that or you are coming across unknown TGs (and you have ID Search on - and possibly auto store too).

I've never come across this behavior on my 436 and I use ID Search a lot, so I could be completely wrong.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Wild stab in the dark: You're hitting Enter on a talkgroup and it is saving it to the current favorites list, and creating a site in order to do so.

Either that or you are coming across unknown TGs (and you have ID Search on - and possibly auto store too).

I've never come across this behavior on my 436 and I use ID Search a lot, so I could be completely wrong.

You could be right. I noticed the same things a few weeks ago. I had a new site, with a similar name. I really didn't think much of it. It was before I updated the database for a few weeks, and rewrote my favorites. I do use ID search, but I'm not sure about auto store. I never specifically turned auto store on, but it could be on by default?

Now I wish I would not have deleted that new site. I should have looked into it more to find if a new site or talk groups were added to the system.

Rookie mistake!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I am more than a little puzzled about something that happens with my BCD 536HP. Let me illustrate this way: Right now, I have it working fine and as an example of my problem, I follow a number of State Patrol talk groups in Minnesota, all on the same system (ARMER). I have this Favorite called "State Patrol" listening to four different sites in succession during scans. I see my scanner looking through these four programmed sites as it scans the various programmed TGID values for the State Patrol. Then, sometimes I will notice that a new site has been added to the list of sites I programmed prior. Right now I see one onscreen and it has the name, SITE Aug 19:16:02. This is the same format that I always see when this happens. Apparently, something happened at 1916 hours central time tonight but I will be damned if I know what that could have been.

Any chance you could export the applicable Favorites List with the "mystery site" to an HPE file, zip it and post it as an attachment? We might be able to look at it for some more clues to what is going on.

I just came back from spending the weekend in Minneapolis. I had the 536 along for company, monitoring all the state patrol's metro talkgroups. I didn't notice anything unusual going on.

The state patrol was coming in, as to be expected, on several sites. Mainly it was the Minneapolis City Center (their "home" site), but also Hennepin East & West, Dakota, Ramsey and Minneapolis NS.

Status
Not open for further replies.