N.Y.S.P. thruway

Status
Not open for further replies.

RF-Burns

453.42500 PL 97.4 Ch 1 Thruway Ch1
453.52500 PL 97.4 Ch 2 Thruway Ch 2

NYSP Troop T uses the same two frequencies throughout the entire 500+ miles of the Thruway. They just change PL's throughout the different sections. It really is a horrible system that is 40+ years old. Listening to that system will make your head explode.

Last edited by a moderator:

archduke

Premium Subscriber
Somewhere I still may have a Sonar 6 Channel monitor receiver (wasn't able to scan) with a 154.65 crystal in it. That Sonar monitor was very sensitive and selective too but lots of money back in the 1970s ...probably $150 new plus crystals. But it certainly performed well on picking up the Tarrytown Division and the Albany Division as they stepped on each other.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Not really sure why it is called a horrible system but I think the system worked out fine with loud, strong audio.

Unless you have a high gain antenna picking up the other (weaker) channel for the neighboring division there isn’t really a problem with listening to it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There's nothing wrong with the system. It was ahead of its time when it first went online, and all these decades later it still gets the job done. Two multi-casted output frequencies used throughout the entire state, alternating the frequencies by repeater site as it stretches along the system, using a single voted input frequency for everything. That right there is one of the best examples of making the most of limited channel resources to cover an enormous area.

No, it's not some fancy simulcast P25 Phase II system, but it's rock solid and has been on the air for longer than most systems in the state.

The only thing that makes it "horrible" is the actual content of the transmissions, as they have every maintenance crew, toll booth, and tow truck operating on it, right alongside Troop T. And of course the MDC and G-STAR bursts can make it unbearable to listen to all that squawking every time a radio is keyed up. So yeah, if your goal is to only listen to the SP, you're likely going to unfairly judge the system itself as "horrible".

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
There's nothing wrong with the system. It was ahead of its time when it first went online, and all these decades later it still gets the job done. Two multi-casted output frequencies used throughout the entire state, alternating the frequencies by repeater site as it stretches along the system, using a single voted input frequency for everything. That right there is one of the best examples of making the most of limited channel resources to cover an enormous area.

No, it's not some fancy simulcast P25 Phase II system, but it's rock solid and has been on the air for longer than most systems in the state.

The only thing that makes it "horrible" is the actual content of the transmissions, as they have every maintenance crew, toll booth, and tow truck operating on it, right alongside Troop T. And of course the MDC and G-STAR bursts can make it unbearable to listen to all that squawking every time a radio is keyed up. So yeah, if your goal is to only listen to the SP, you're likely going to unfairly judge the system itself as "horrible".

Drove thru a toll when paying cash this year in Albany and the guy in the booth had the radio on and the bursts came out loud and clear, must drive them nuts

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Drove thru a toll when paying cash this year in Albany and the guy in the booth had the radio on and the bursts came out loud and clear, must drive them nuts

Being that they listen to it every day, they probably just tune it out.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The radios used by NYSTA had squelch setting of 1 microvolt to cut down on hearing the other zone. I bought about a dozen GE Mastr II mobiles at TA auction with special heads and an internal squelch control. The only thing horrible about the system is when you get temp inversion skip interfering. BTW NJ Turnpike had a similar system on VHF in the 70's, our shop was always having to respond to problems with the skip.

RF-Burns

The only thing that makes it "horrible" is the actual content of the transmissions, as they have every maintenance crew, toll booth, and tow truck operating on it, right alongside Troop T. And of course the MDC and G-STAR bursts can make it unbearable to listen to all that squawking every time a radio is keyed up".

Exactly my point. Your head will explode with all the beeps, boops, bursts, horrible static, and every hour traffic, weather, and maintenance checks. The Buffalo Division is in serious need of more coverage. The static and the requests to repeat because troopers aren't readable into the system gets old after 30 mins of listening. Imagine being a trooper and having to listen and deal with that for 10 to 12 hours everyday.

BTFire21

Since the Buffalo Division moved from two sites to a site every 20-30 miles it seems the coverage has gotten better.

comspec

Just an note to the OP. Note that this is the frequency the NYSP Troop T uses, but it is also used by just about everyone else too. Maintenance, Tollbooths, Help Truck, Contract tows, admin, etc. In addition, the zone that covers Rockland also covers I-87 up to Kingston, I-287 and I-95 So it can get quite chatty. Troopers unit numbers start with "7"

k2hz

Database Admin
Maintenance has their own dedicated frequencies for their operations but they also operate on the main system.

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
Somewhere I still may have a Sonar 6 Channel monitor receiver (wasn't able to scan) with a 154.65 crystal in it. That Sonar monitor was very sensitive and selective too but lots of money back in the 1970s ...probably $150 new plus crystals. But it certainly performed well on picking up the Tarrytown Division and the Albany Division as they stepped on each other.
I remember listening to this system back in the early 1970's. It recall hearing some other police department that used to open the Thruway's repeater whenever it transmitted. I never could figure out where it was located.

k2ns

I live in Putnam county and 453.425 comes booming in here. I never hear anything on 453.525 at all. The ID I hear is KRA529TAX. I assume that the TAX stands for "Taxter Road", as that is one of the locations listed in the FCC ULS. Funny, I used to live right off of Taxter Road in Irvington, NY as a kid growing up, and I know exactly where the transmitter is located. The tower overlooks the Thruway in Elmsford and the access to the tower is a driveway on Taxter Road. One thing I always wondered----Where are the dispatchers located ???

Status
Not open for further replies.