N3KZ Repeater system back up and running

Status
Not open for further replies.

1977addis

W3WIK
Premium Subscriber
Hello all, KC3MZX here. I was scanning around and noticed that the N3KZ repeater in Havre de Grace MD was back online. Looking to see if others have been hearing or using the repeaters lately, I know the system went down in 2018 or so, would be nice to see the system come back to life in full. For those who dont know, this system is predominantly UHF and serves the MD PA NJ and DE area of the north east.Here's a link to their website for those who want to learn more. N3KZ Repeater System – UPARC

hill

Premium Subscriber
Ok on all.

It was off for over a year and came back on a few months ago, but was turned off very shortly after that due to continuing issues. Guess it's been back on for a month or more.

Going forward think I like DMR better than this system. I listen to the repeaters more than talk on them.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
The intentional interference that has occurred on this system over the past year + is an interesting example of the current state of amateur radio. Cheap radios, deteriorating social norms, and easily obtained amateur licenses, have certainly impacted the ham radio hobby.

It is my understanding that the FCC has little to no intention to address the issues, even though the primary “offenders” of the interference have been identified. That is another interesting aspect to the hobby in this day and age. The very agency that regulates the bands on which amateurs operate, refuses to enforce it’s own rules, citing funding issues. Sounds much like the FCC of the 1970’s, when they revised the rules pertaining to the Citizen’s Band service. And the FCC permits the ongoing harassment of licensed amateur operators, at the hands of sociopaths who enjoy harassing and annoying people.

While I may agree that certain licensed amateurs appear to be the lightning rod, attracting the focus of the interference, it has spread to other repeater systems and targets random ham operators, as it has been allowed to continue unabated. And should a licensed ham be forced off a repeater because he or she is the focus of this interference, even though that licensed operator is operating properly ? It is an interesting situation (and I am aware of the long history of any specific operator that may be the intended target of such interference).

I find it interesting that the trustees of the N3KZ system will choose to shut the system down, and allow the few people that cause the interference to impact many licensed hams that adhere to the rules. That seems to be another trend that occurs in our world these days. Yield to the few who yell the loudest, while ignoring the masses who go about their lives within the confines of the rule of law and common sense.

If I was a betting man, I would put it all on the FCC eventually making the amateur radio service a “license by rule” operation. It appears that way to me already.

KE0GXN

^ I agree 100%. But hey, the “just spin the dial” mentality among hams, surely is the solution to all of this....just ask the guy the League put in charge of the new VM program. Ironically, he used to work for the FCC enforcement division. :rolleyes:

1977addis

W3WIK
Premium Subscriber
The intentional interference that has occurred on this system over the past year + is an interesting example of the current state of amateur radio. Cheap radios, deteriorating social norms, and easily obtained amateur licenses, have certainly impacted the ham radio hobby.

It is my understanding that the FCC has little to no intention to address the issues, even though the primary “offenders” of the interference have been identified. That is another interesting aspect to the hobby in this day and age. The very agency that regulates the bands on which amateurs operate, refuses to enforce it’s own rules, citing funding issues. Sounds much like the FCC of the 1970’s, when they revised the rules pertaining to the Citizen’s Band service. And the FCC permits the ongoing harassment of licensed amateur operators, at the hands of sociopaths who enjoy harassing and annoying people.

While I may agree that certain licensed amateurs appear to be the lightning rod, attracting the focus of the interference, it has spread to other repeater systems and targets random ham operators, as it has been allowed to continue unabated. And should a licensed ham be forced off a repeater because he or she is the focus of this interference, even though that licensed operator is operating properly ? It is an interesting situation (and I am aware of the long history of any specific operator that may be the intended target of such interference).

I find it interesting that the trustees of the N3KZ system will choose to shut the system down, and allow the few people that cause the interference to impact many licensed hams that adhere to the rules. That seems to be another trend that occurs in our world these days. Yield to the few who yell the loudest, while ignoring the masses who go about their lives within the confines of the rule of law and common sense.

If I was a betting man, I would put it all on the FCC eventually making the amateur radio service a “license by rule” operation. It appears that way to me already.

I've noticed that. I hear people "curchinking" the system 24/7 D$&K heads making a crap load of noise, keying up over others. Yeah its quite annoying.

millrad

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed that. I hear people "curchinking" the system 24/7 D$&K heads making a crap load of noise, keying up over others. Yeah its quite annoying.
True that repeaters aren't as much fun as they used to be, and the hobby isn't as recognized and respected as it once was. Why? Indifference by the public, an abundance of very cheap radios, and an almost complete lack of FCC enforcement. Still, there are many repeaters that are top notch, populated by courteous and friendly operators who set a great example. Cliqueness and malicious interference are reasons I generally stay away from repeaters in the first place, save for the occasional chat with locals and a few ARES regional drills. Speaking only for myself, I have more fun on HF using new digital modes like FT-8 and FT-4 and even CW. Repeaters were a great entryway into amateur radio. It was time to move on.

rapidcharger

Well I'm one of those clowns so thanks for the compliment!
You might want to familiarize yourself with the rules of the repeater which clearly state that MDC isn't permitted.

Personally I have no problem with MDC or other signaling but you have to be careful with repeaters. This one is not club owned; it's privately owned by a repeatergod that's got a lot of rules. Sometimes repeatergods get real mad if you don't respect their authoritay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.