N5RV Shack and Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Good additions. I'm glad they let you add your own equipment. I bet it's more helpful than they think.

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
Good additions. I'm glad they let you add your own equipment. I bet it's more helpful than they think.
Being the radio tech for the game wardens kinda helps....LOL! I have one game warden that is also a ham, so I add his local ham repeaters to his radios so he doesn't need to add additional radios to his truck. But it is normal for everyone to add what they feel is helpful to the public.

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
Care to elaborate on your HF antenna setup in the mobile?

MIke
The HF antenna is a Diamond SD330, screwdriver antenna. Seems to work well for checking in to the 7290 Traffic Net when I happen to be mobile from time to time. I've not used it on any other bands yet except to verify that it will tune. The only other screwdriver antennas I've used in the past were the ones made by High Sierra before they were ran out of business by patent disputes. I've owned 3 High Sierra's.

Jerry

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The HF antenna is a Diamond SD330E, screwdriver antenna. Seems to work well for checking in to the 7290 Traffic Net when I happen to be mobile from time to time. I've not used it on any other bands yet except to verify that it will tune. The only other screwdriver antennas I've used in the past were the ones made by High Sierra before they were ran out of business by patent disputes. I've owned 3 High Sierra's.

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. I'd really love to do a mobile HF install in my Silverado 1500, but I've been shy about it because of so many different potential antennas to use for HF. Takes a lot of reading to try and decide what might be the best option.

Mike

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Jerry. I'd really love to do a mobile HF install in my Silverado 1500, but I've been shy about it because of so many different potential antennas to use for HF. Takes a lot of reading to try and decide what might be the best option.

Mike
Yeah, the mounting is really the biggest hurdle. The mount I am using is one for the stake pocket on the bed. Made by Breedlove Mounts;

I highly recommend Breedlove for any mounting situation.

Jerry

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
THanks, Jerry. I will check those items out!

Mike
You are quite welcome Mike. I've ran mobile off and on over the past few decades. First mobile setup was a Kenwood TS-690SAT and a High Sierra HS-1000 on a ball mount fixed to the left back quarter panel of a '92 Ford Explorer. Used to work Japan on 75m phone on the way to work in the mornings and Europe on 75m phone on the way back home, during the winter months. But the band conditions where much better then.

I had a mentor back in the late 70's that got me interested in running mobile HF, his call was W5AYX (JW Roach). He helped me get into school and get my commercial FCC license and begin my career in 2-way radio. I was already a ham (licensed at age 18 in 1978). Took me quite a few more years before I would run mobile in 1993.

Hope you are able to get mobile HF soon. It's great to have when traveling or just the daily drive...

73 de Jerry N5RV

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
I also recommend one of these inline and properly grounded to help out on the lower bands where the impedance of the antenna can be pretty low. This will keep your radio from seeing high VSWR and cut back in power. Adding a capacity hat can do roughly the same thing, but the antenna needs more free space around it to properly use a capacity hat.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.