N9JIG Shack Update for April 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Part 1:

On Tuesday I ordered a new Uplift L-Shaped standing desk to replace my older single top desk. My wife encouraged this since she wanted the old desk for her crafting room. The desk arrived Thursday night (of course just as we sat down to dinner!) We cleared out what we could then and after work Friday cleared out everything from the office. We assembled the new desk upside down and then flipped it over. As it has casters it is real easy to move around so we tried a couple different arrangements before deciding in the final layout. The whole thing is pretty well self-contained, with a single power cord, an Ethernet cable and an antenna feed being the only connections to the outside.

The radio equipment is pretty much the same as before, the 42u Networking cabinet for the majority of the radios, the MiniStack and a bunch of handhelds. (I will list the radios below). The big cabinet contains 3 Stridsberg multicouplers, 2 8-port and a 4-port. The MiniStack has its own 8-port Stridsberg. The cabinet has 2 25A power supplies, one for the receivers and another for the 2-ways. The 746 has its own 35A supply. Also in the cabinet are 3 USB hubs, 2 13 port and a 7-port. The 13-port hubs each cover the right or left side of the cabinet and plug into the 7-port, There are a couple other devices plugged directly into the 7-port as well, the RadarBox and UPS included.

I made a quick video of the office, see it at

Of course there are pictures!

Here is the overview. At center is the radio cabinet. At right is the Secondary Desk and the main desk is on the left.

Cabinet.jpg

Next is the second desk and the wife's desk. The computer on the Second Desk is a Hades Canyon NUC, 32GB of RAM and 2 1TB NVME SSD's running 14 instances of ProScan and 2 of Pro96Com as well as the ANRB RadarBox. A part of the HH collection is there too.
Desk2.jpg

Here is the Third Desk, with the wife's portion on the left and the big screen on the right. My older Intel NUC is on the big screen here and we are watching the Folkston rail cam from Virtual Railfan. A small part of the airplane collection is displayed, the rest is stored away for now.
Desk3.jpg

Continued in Part 2:

Attachments

• Desk.jpg
    Desk.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 239
  • Desk.jpg
    Desk.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 267
  • Patch.jpg
    Patch.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 272

N9JIG

Sheriff
Part 2:

Here is the main part of my new desk in the lower position as well as the smaller TV on the wall. We are watching the Horseshoe Curve railcam on that screen. The weather station and work phone are here.
Desk.jpg

Here is the whole shot of the new desk. On the far right is the MiniStack, below the desk in a CPU holder is the UPS for the computer. There are 3 32-inch ASUS 2K monitors connected to a 2018 Mac Mini all tricked out. I want to replace these monitors with 4K ones but that will have to wait for a while.

The Uplift Desk goes from 30-inchs off the floor to 54.4 so I can stand when wanted. So far we are really happy with it and the casters make it easy to move around at will.
Computer.jpg

Here is the patch panel. There are 27 RF connectors going to antennas in the attic. Since I live in an HOA all my antennas are in the attic. There are 4 ST-2's, 4 ST-3's, a couple discone's, some two-way antennas as well as a couple HF dipoles.
Patch.jpg

Here is the radio list (top to bottom):

Radio Cabinet:
PSR600 (4)
BCT15 (8)
BCT15X (4)
BCD996XT (2)
Icom R8500
Icom IC746Pro
TM-D731A
TYT MD8600
CDM1250
MDC and PL/DPL decoders,
TRX-2

MiniStack:
SDS200
HP-1
SDS100
BCD996XT (2)
PSR400

Handhelds:
BCD436HP
TRX-1
HP-2
BCD396XT
BC125AT
TH-F6A
BCD325P2 (2)
HT750
HT1250
TK3140
Unication G5

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Sweet setup, Rich! Thanks for sharing! You're going to be in trouble if your wife ever insists on more real estate there! lol

JD
kf4anc

N9JIG

Sheriff
Rich, you re-arrange your radio shack nearly as much as I forget things! :LOL:

Yeah. I do... Always looking for that next sweet thing.

I am already thinking about my next shack build but that will likely need a bigger room which means it waits for the next house. Instead of a vertical cabinet I might go horizontal. Gotta go and get Lotto tickets, back later!

Back towards reality though the next upgrade will likely be cable management. I already have a nest under the desk for the backup hard drives and switch which I forgot to mention earlier but I was thinking of 18 inch modesty panels to hide the wiring that, even with wire-ties, seems to be hanging around.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Every time I see a new thread about you doing a shack remodel I think 'it was perfect, why change it?'. Then after I look at the upgrades I always think 'yeah, I definitely like the upgrades better'. Keep it up Rich, I look forward to the next go round. But as always, it looks awesome.

bharvey2

I am already thinking about my next shack build but that will likely need a bigger room which means it waits for the next house. Instead of a vertical cabinet I might go horizontal. Gotta go and get Lotto tickets, back later!

Seems like an abandoned Nike Missile Silo site might be the next logical step. ;-) Outstanding work. I wish I could devote as much real estate in my house....

kc9grh

Nice job!!! Makes me want to redo my stuff. I have to paint the Wenches office before I can do mine. I didn't think their is that much stuff to listen to in AZ. You don't have the southside.

scottyhetzel

Very nice and clean...my favorite so far... my only gripe would to add wiremold and cover that tight black extension cord ...not much strain relief. That’s the only thing out of place...otherwise 99.99% perfect...

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

Rich, like you I'm always trying to improve my shack, and recently I'm on a quest to get rid of cable clutter.

No more wall-warts, using an ASTRON power supply for everything with a power distribution block from the power supply to the area where the scanners are and short leads from the block to four scanners. I'm going to order a Stridsberg multi-coupler to reduce antenna cables. Planning on purchasing a 4-speaker 19" rack panel. I also want to use a USB hub to link four scanners running in virtual mode with Proscan but I'm not certain a hub can handle that type of activity all at once. I'm thinking if anyone has done that it would be you?

Status
Not open for further replies.