N9JIG Shack Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have one of those Kill-A-Watt devices that measures current draw. With all three power supplies on, all radios on in RX mode it draws just under 2A. When either 45 watt UHF radio transmits the load jumps to 2.1 amps on the AC meter. I think I will be OK...

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Rich I meant to compliment you on your setup in my earlier post when replying to your insurance method. Your radio room and gear is really great and looks neat and clean. My wife is after me now to clean things up a bit, especially cables!

How much heat does that generate in the rack, and your room in general? My computer alone can raise the temperature in my office 2-3 degrees depending on how hard it's working.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The rack is never warm to the touch on any of the cabinet walls. I have a pair of exhaust fans on the top but stopped using them as it was never any warmer air coming out. I suspect if I transmitted more there might be some more heat but I rarely do other than a couple minutes here and there.

The computers and monitors do get warm but I usually have the ceiling fan on and when I do shut everything down I don't notice much difference.

I think the design of the house makes a huge difference. Our old home was a small townhouse with 8 foot ceilings, the office got really hot, especially in the winter. It got so bad I often had a window open to blow in some cold air. The office was half the size of this one and the rooms had smaller doors so circulation was poor.

The new house we have now is much larger (3 times the square footage) with 10 foot ceilings and better circulation. It is a more open design with a much wider and higher door into the great room.

Another thing here is that the inside temperature is very stable most of the year here. Being in the hills just outside the Phoenix area the AC is on constantly from May thru September so we keep the AC set to 80 and it is perfectly comfortable. From October thru April we have the windows open and sometimes need a sweater at night. We get great cross ventilation so for half the year it is 70 inside and in the summer it is 80. I am pretty sure I have a furnace in the attic (I have seen it...) but we have never used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.