NAC Encryption in Western MA

Status
Not open for further replies.

skierp20

Premium Subscriber
I've been thinking about picking up a 2nd scanner, and I've been debating getting a Digital scanner.. like a BCT996 (I think?) how much content is NAC Encrypted in Western MA? Is it even worth it out here?

Western MA being the greater Springfield area, of course.

Scott

D

DaveNF2G

Yeah, of course. There is nothing west of Springfield. Pittsfield and Great Barrington are imaginary places.

:-D

D

DaveNF2G

Now, to at least partially answer your question....

Digital is not encryption. NAC codes work on digital signals like PL works on analog.

skierp20

Premium Subscriber
Two things..

1.What are these places you speak of? Its hard enough to convince people in Boston that there is anything west of Worcester, or 495 for that matter, good luck convincing people there is life west of Springfield.

2. Fair enough.. my definition of what NAC is was incorrect.. that being said, is there any value in owning a Digital Scanner in this area or would it be a wasted investment?

Scott

D

DaveNF2G

1. These must be the same people who think Boston is the capital of Massachusetts and New York City is the capital of New York, and that every other city including Buffalo is a nearby suburb of NYC.

2. I'll have to leave that to the locals. Springfield is beyond my reception range. I monitor the mythical realm of the Berkshires from here.

kennyblues

If you have any interest in monitoring any Federal or Military Bases in the Western, MA area, then I'd say yes, spend the xtra $$ and get a digital radio.
Due to the budget crisis in this "Great"(Insert sarcasm here) Commonwealth then I believe that the local PD's, FD's and State Agencies could be a long long way off before converting to the FCC Mandate that all users go digital.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The MSP troop B buildout that is underway will be digital capable.
New Hampshire PDs, many are digital and you can hear them from Springfield.
I would look how long it would be before you could get another scanner if your favorite agency went digital in a week. If you can only get a new scanner once every 5 years, maybe now is the time to get the digital. If you could afford one in a year, you almost certainly wait and save some money.

chris

garys

Premium Subscriber
Wait! Boston isn't the capitol of MA?

If you go to CT often, you'll want a digital capable scanner to listen to the CT State Police. Some local agencies in CT are also digital, but that seems to be mostly along the I-95 corridor so far. As someone else pointed out, much of NH is digital if you go that way.

If you don't need the digital capability, look at the BC15X. It has most of the same features, but no digital, and it's much less expensive.

D

DaveNF2G

There is no "FCC mandate that all users go digital." There is a mandate that all services from VHF to 800 go narrowband. Digital is one emission mode that will satisfy the technical requirements of narrowbanding.

skierp20

Premium Subscriber
I guess Boston isnt the capital of Massachusetts.. Damn history classes..

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I will stick with my BCT-15 for a while until things change up.

Status
Not open for further replies.