• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

(NAF) Monitoring METROLINX GO Transit Using an XTS 2500

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaofengUV82L

Hope this doesn't sound dumb but is this POSSIBLE? I believe if programmed and flashed correctly in theory an XTS 2500 UHF should be able to pickup the talkgroups in RR marked with a D but not those with a T. Does anyone have any insight on this? What flashcode would be required? Thanks

K2NEC

Is it possible? Maybe.
Does it mean you should try it? I'd advise against it.

BaofengUV82L

Yes, it’s doable.
>Yes, that's what I want to hear!

There’s very few non-TDMA groups on the system though.
>Those are the only ones I want to monitor. Just those select few.

Post a link to the system and provide the exact specs on the radio.
Here is the (link to the) system called
"Metrolinx - GO Transit"
System Type:Project 25 Phase II
System Voice:APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive

As for Radio Specs. This is an XTS 2500 UHF (403-470Mhz) so called model I but it does Have a screen and no key pad. Here is a pic of the back..BUT..In an effort to go 'on' err monitor I should say the "Metrolinx - GO Transit" system, I upgraded the radios firmware and tuning partitions using a certain windows program to the following:
Sys.Pkg: SMARTzone
FLASHcode:500008-000488-2
Firmware : 20.50.09
Tuning: R01.08.14
DSP: 19.50.01

Post a link to the system and provide the exact specs on the radio.
As for Radio Specs. This is an XTS 2500 UHF (403-470Mhz) so called model I but it does Have a screen and no key pad. Here is a pic of the back..BUT..In an effort to go 'on' err monitor I should say the "Metrolinx - GO Transit" system, I upgraded the radios firmware and tuning partitions using a certain windows program to the following:

Attachments

• 20210716_080407.jpg
    20210716_080407.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 9

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!

Ahh came in coy yet got the exact one needed. Very nice young padawan, learning you are

You can set all the channels, the red & blue ones are reported as CC's, its possible channels change, you can program them all in, theres only a handful per site unless have an SDR, scanner to verify for sure, the radio will find the control channel. If you travel, it will find the new towers control channel within range by adjacent site or programmed control channel.
Set it to Smartzone, check off Omnilink for good measure, or the Site IDs/RFSS matter (Yes I know 1 is the only RFSS listed), digital modulator CQPSK, I'd set the Ultra Narrow Intermediate Frequency Filter to 5.76
Do you know the channel ID band plan for this system? Looks like theres base freq in the wiki. For pure purposes, I'd set the concentric switch to TX Inhibit. I haven't had a problem receiving with it on

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Utterly pointless.

You do you, I know it works and its not needed for advanced users, but I would suggest a total noob enable it while they ultimately screw things up trying to do it the first time. It would be far from the first time noobs park it on the talkgroup and not a conventional channel or setup the wrong site IDs and RFSS

Last edited:

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
You do you, I know it works and its not needed for advanced users, but I would suggest a total noob enable it while they ultimately screw things up trying to do it the first time. It would be far from the first time noobs park it on the talkgroup and not a conventional channel

The problem is you don't bother to explain why it's not needed. You say to turn on Tx Inhibit, leading the noob you're so concerned about to likely believe that Tx Inhibit means "I"m good". Your smug little "learning you are" Yoda garbage is more important to you than taking time to post some useful information for your noob.

For the OP, Tx Inhibit is useless because it does not prevent the radio from transmitting inbound signal words to the system or responding to interrogatives from the system. It does not prevent the radio from attempting to affiliate.

What it does do is prevent the radio from sending a channel grant request (PTT) -- which, if you've already parked on a trunking talkgroup personality, you've already failed the mission. The radio has already transmitted and probably affiliated.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The problem is you don't bother to explain why it's not needed. You say to turn on Tx Inhibit, leading the noob you're so concerned about to likely believe that Tx Inhibit means "I"m good". Your smug little "learning you are" Yoda garbage is more important to you than taking time to post some useful information for your noob.

For the OP, Tx Inhibit is useless because it does not prevent the radio from transmitting inbound signal words to the system or responding to interrogatives from the system. It does not prevent the radio from attempting to affiliate.

What it does do is prevent the radio from sending a channel grant request (PTT) -- which, if you've already parked on a trunking talkgroup personality, you've already failed the mission. The radio has already transmitted and probably affiliated.
Wrong. When the concentric switch is set to TX Inhibit on the XTS 2500/5000 and all APX models, it prevents ALL transmissions: registration, affiliation, acknowledgements, transmitting, etc.

If you're going to call out another member, perhaps you ought to get your facts straight first.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Further what those who don't realize is if you do NOT select Smartzone and Omnilink and don't have tx inhibit, if you do not get the correct Site ID or RFSS the radio will try to transmit even in non affiliate scan on a conventional channel with trunked scan list, this is something never discussed and why scanners are better for noobs. There is a lot to learn when using a motorola. The NAF scan instructions are for people who already know a trunked system. This is something nobody bothers to mention when noobs that leave it on Disabled

TX Inhibit has no affect on 9600 Astro systems scanning from a conventional channel. Its preferable for noobs who regardless of everyone telling them to buy a scanner will do what we don't want to do anyway and allows you to figure out whats wrong without transmitting which everyone on here realizes is the correct way to do things, not to trespass on a system. Program for TX Inhibit concentric switch and do your experimentation that they will do regardless. I hope this will be archieved for future users

Last edited:

BaofengUV82L

You do you, I know it works and its not needed for advanced users, but I would suggest a total noob enable it while they ultimately screw things up trying to do it the first time. It would be far from the first time noobs park it on the talkgroup and not a conventional channel or setup the wrong site IDs and RFSS
I am not a TOTAL nube, but I always did wonder (when I open up other people's Codeplugs and see that they have set the concentric switch to Tx Inhibit) if setting it like that served a purpose.

He is also going to need the BP and a SYSkey. I hope the OP knows what hes doing. I would hate to see him get in trouble.
Already I made the system Key and loaded it. What is the BP?

And be sure to use radio ID 1.
Seriously? That way just in case it affiliates it wont mimic a real ID?

Ahh came in coy yet got the exact one needed. Very nice young padawan, learning you are

You can set all the channels, the red & blue ones are reported as CC's, its possible channels change, you can program them all in, theres only a handful per site unless have an SDR, scanner to verify for sure, the radio will find the control channel. If you travel, it will find the new towers control channel within range by adjacent site or programmed control channel.
Set it to Smartzone, check off Omnilink for good measure, or the Site IDs/RFSS matter (Yes I know 1 is the only RFSS listed), digital modulator CQPSK, I'd set the Ultra Narrow Intermediate Frequency Filter to 5.76
Do you know the channel ID band plan for this system? Looks like theres base freq in the wiki. For pure purposes, I'd set the concentric switch to TX Inhibit. I haven't had a problem receiving with it on
Wow! A real answer! Those are exactly all the little details I need help with As the radio is still not talking just I didn't Want to be a noob and ask all that.. I will try again tomorrow. I do not know/fully understand The channel band plan for this system. I did look at the wiki but the format they put the numbers in gave me no real.clue where to enter Them etc

N4KVE

Here is the (link to the) system called
"Metrolinx - GO Transit"
System Type:Project 25 Phase II
System Voice:APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive

It’s a model 1.5. A model 1 has no screen.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
I am not a TOTAL nube, but I always did wonder (when I open up other people's Codeplugs and see that they have set the concentric switch to Tx Inhibit) if setting it like that served a purpose.

Already I made the system Key and loaded it. What is the BP?

Seriously? That way just in case it affiliates it wont mimic a real ID?

Wow! A real answer! Those are exactly all the little details I need help with As the radio is still not talking just I didn't Want to be a noob and ask all that.. I will try again tomorrow. I do not know/fully understand The channel band plan for this system. I did look at the wiki but the format they put the numbers in gave me no real.clue where to enter Them etc

You will need to know the channel BP to get the radio to work or else you wont hear any talkgroups. The BP are not posted on any website that I am aware of. The best way to get it is to use unitrunker. It will show you the BP as well as other system info.

Status
Not open for further replies.