Nagoya NA-771 Transmit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

I just noticed some receive only frequencies listed, both on the package and on the online description. Here is a paste from the manufactures specs that are included in the Amazon description:

Receive Only Frequency Bands120 / 150 / 300 / 450 / 900MHz

I'm assuming these are specific frequencies and not ranges. No complaints, I love the antenna. Just curious as to why the restrictions. Also, what happens if I attempt to transmit on one of the frequencies listed as receive only? Will nothing get transmitted, or can I somehow damage my radio if I try?

Thanks

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
If you really look at the specs for the antenna on Amazon, it is intended for transmitting on the 144-148MHz 2 meter ham band and the 430-450MHZ 70cm ham band. However, they are frequently sold for use with GMRS radios as well.

The receive only frequencies are bands not specific frequencies.

Unless you are licensed you should not attempt to transmit with this antenna. Yes, it might damage your radio and even if it didn't it won't work very well.

nd5y

It's marketing BS. The NA-771 is an amateur dual band antenna. It is designed to cover 144-146 MHz and 430-440 MHz. Maybe 144-148 and 430-450 if it was designed for the world wide market and not just Asia & Europe.

The farther away from those ranges the worse the performance. Like with ANY antenna the only way to tell for sure the exact frequency coverage and whether or not it will damage a poorly designed transmitter is by measuring it with an antenna analyzer or VNA. The only way to tell how good it transmits is by measuring it with a field strength meter against a known standard. There are a lot of clones/fakes so there is no telling what you really have unless you test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.