Nampa Fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC1309

Anyone knows what up with Nampa Fire Ops? For a few years now I have been picking up Nampa loud and clear both their Primary and Ops Channel. Then a few months ago I was still picking up when they be alerted to a medical call or any non structure fire call. Then all of a sudden I would hear units responding on Charles 14 (Ops) and hear all fire ground activity but never the initial dispatch on Charles 16 (Primary) Now I hear all dispatches again on Primary, but not a peep when they switch to Charles 14 for multi unit responses.

west-pac

Are these analog channels, or talkgroups on a digital radio system?...I don't see any channels labeled Charles 14 or 16. If they are an analog channel, what are the frequencies?

PC1309

They are P25 system talk groups. I believe they're labeled in the Database as 'Nampa Fire Disp' and 'Nampa Fire Ops'.

west-pac

They are P25 system talk groups. I believe they're labeled in the Database as 'Nampa Fire Disp' and 'Nampa Fire Ops'.
I believe when I looked up Nampa this morning there were a couple different towers within that county, with one of them being in Nampa. Are you listening to the Nampa tower, or are you listening to a different tower within that county?

jrtl92

Premium Subscriber
I believe when I looked up Nampa this morning there were a couple different towers within that county, with one of them being in Nampa. Are you listening to the Nampa tower, or are you listening to a different tower within that county?

I have found some towers dont simulcast certain TG's 24/7. Ive found the Shafer Butte tower to be the most reliable in broadcasting all Ada Canyon and State talkgroups 24/7, where sometimes ill hear Ada Sheriff on the Nampa tower, other times i wont. Same with Canyon talkgroups on the Ada tower in Boise

west-pac

A P25 tower won't broadcast a TG unless a radio on that specific TG is affiliated (connected) to that tower.

Back to your original question, if you want to hear Nampa FD, you'll have to listen to the tower that the fire dept radios will be on, which is likely the Nampa tower.

To hear the most Canyon county radio traffic, you'll have to listen to a radio tower in Canyon county. To hear the most Ada county radio traffic, you'll have to listen to a radio tower in Ada county.

P25 radios are constantly checking the signal strength of all the towers they can receive. Once a radio find a tower with a better signal strength, the radio will switch to that tower automatically. That's why sometimes you'll hear neighboring agencies on a tower in another county. Once that radio travels further away and connects to another tower, the tower in the other county will stop broadcasting that TG.

So, for example, if a guy from Nampa FD takes his family out to dinner in Ada county, and has his radio turned on, on a Nampa FD TG, once he gets close enough to a tower in Ada county and his radio affiliates with that tower, the tower in Ada county will start broadcasting the Nampa FD TG. When he turns off his radio, or when he goes back home to Canyon county, and his radio affiliates with a Canyon county tower, the Ada county tower will stop broadcasting the Nampa FD TG.

Status
Not open for further replies.