Nano VNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Anybody use these I just ordered one for trying out. Improved versions now sweep 10k to 1.5 g.
Cheap enough to try. Hope it helps me adjust my antenna setup?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, I bought one a few months ago. Easier than bringing my big one home from work. Used it to tune a half wave VHF antenna on my son's UTV a few weeks back.
Works OK. Good enough for hobby use. Interface takes some getting used to. There are some good tutorials on the youtubes.

mancow

Database Admin
Yeah, I bought one a few months ago. Easier than bringing my big one home from work. Used it to tune a half wave VHF antenna on my son's UTV a few weeks back.
Works OK. Good enough for hobby use. Interface takes some getting used to. There are some good tutorials on the youtubes.

Have you tried the Nanosaver software? Probably a dumb question, but in case you missed it the software really enhances it I think. Of course it adds a PC to the situation.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Have you tried the Nanosaver software? Probably a dumb question, but in case you missed it the software really enhances it I think. Of course it adds a PC to the situation.

No, I haven't. I've got my old PC programming laptop, so maybe I'll give that a try. I saw there was a Android app, but alas we get iPhones at work.

mancow

Database Admin
It's a great program and the dev is on the nanovna groups io always taking suggestions and updating it. A big perk of it is that you can add more test points or whatever they are called, searching for the term now. The device defaults to 101 I think but with the software you can force it to perform a more granular test with much higher resolution.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's a great program and the dev is on the nanovna groups io always taking suggestions and updating it. A big perk of it is that you can add more test points or whatever they are called, searching for the term now. The device defaults to 101 I think but with the software you can force it to perform a more granular test with much higher resolution.

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try.

I've got a nice portable Agilent spectrum analyzer at work with tracking generator that I normally use, and my Viavi 8800SX just arrived, but I'd still like to have something basic/useable at home to play with. So far, I like the nanoVNA as it is, just takes some getting used to.

n0nhp

It was fun to take to the ham club's lunch and get everybody to bring in their dual band HT antennas to sweep. There are some horrible antennas out there :confused:

DeepBlue

HT antennas can be tricky to test unless you have your body is capacitvly coupled to the actual HT. Your body makes a good bit of difference as far as how the antenna works. Some seem horrible but work well enough when held in a hand. Just FYI stuff.

S
KB8JNE

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Arrived today I think there’s a firmware update already? I’ll be playing with it on my next days off. This version is nano vna-h.

Attachments

• 3942ABFC-07A1-40CF-9336-EBCA980B971F.jpeg
    3942ABFC-07A1-40CF-9336-EBCA980B971F.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 22

Ubbe

HT antennas can be tricky to test unless you have your body is capacitvly coupled to the actual HT.
Just for that reason I used empty chassis from 2-way radios, one SMA and one BNC, with a coax inside the chassi attached to their antenna connectors and then to an analyser and measured when holding the chassi in my hand in a normal position, and hanging from the belt to see what the antenna type and belt clip did to the result. There's no way that you can connect an antenna to the end of a coax and get reliable results.

/Ubbe

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
HT antennas can be tricky to test unless you have your body is capacitvly coupled to the actual HT.

Meh not really. I have the AA-1400 and can test HT antennas just fine. The NANOVNA-F is good too. Just keep the analyzer at arms length and then keep the antenna pointed vertical. For most accurate results, do this outside and away from large metallic objects.

DeepBlue

People using a standard desk top type or computer type VNA won't be able to hand hold the unit with antenna directly attached. The Nano and other small units that can accept the antenna directly on top of the unit and be hand held like an HT should show more accurate results, true. You cannot add a cable and stick a "duck" on the end of that cable and expect realistic results is my point from earlier. Good on the hand held VNAs though. They may be more accurate used that way, and that is a good thing.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.