Narrow Band FM and NJ Data Base Updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
FYI: With the transition on many agencies here in NJ to Narrow Band FM (Super Narrow band FM i.e. 11 KHz or less) emission. The NJ RR data base is being updated to show this transition in the “Mode” column of the data base. This is strictly based on those agencies whose FCC license now shows the 11K2F3E,D or 7K60FXE,D, or from reliable sources, actual monitoring and user submissions. (Note: D suffix = Digital Emission 11K2F3D & 7K6OFXD - Look for P25 and NAC codes)

Also some agencies will show on their FCC license both the older emission 20K0F3E (FM) and newer 11K2F3E. (NFM) Meaning the agency is in transition and / or at some time in the future will be switching to the narrower emission to meet FCC re farming dead line some time in 2014. Also at times with the switch to narrow band FM the agency will switch from CTCSS PL to DPL. DPL handles the narrow bandwidth better.

This is where “we” (DB Amins) can especially use your help; if you know especially by monitoring and / or a reliable source(s) and can confirm a particular agency has indeed switched to the Narrow Band FM please submit this information in the usual fashion here to Radio Reference. :D

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

robbinsj2

(Note: D suffix = Digital Emission 11K2F3D & 7K6OFXD - Look for P25 and NAC codes)

Did that change? I thought the final character differentiated data from voice or something else, and the second-to-last character was the format. It's been a while but I thought 1D and 2D are data of different types, 1E is digital voice and 3E is analog voice; also X in the second-to-last character meant something like "any of the above".

Jim

Edit: found links which may or may not be outdated:
Part 90 Emissions
Part 2 Emissions (has more codes listed than Part 90)
Correction -- appears that X is "none of the above" and W is "any of the above".

Last edited:

W2SJW

Database Admin
I think for now the biggest issue is to keep up with the agencies going NFM on analog. The few non-trunked digital agencies in NJ got a big-boost upgrade in the database back when the PSR-500 & 600 came out (everyone with those models submitted the NAC's that they were now able to receive).

SCPD

QRT
I think for now the biggest issue is to keep up with the agencies going NFM on analog...

I think Scott hit it here right on the head. We can discuss all the different emission types in a different and or technical forum thread topic.
Knowing what each emission type can be an useful tool as DB admins process the submitted information. However, the idea here is to have the basic scanner enthusiast to easily be able to submit new data to RR on those agencies who are and do go NFM.

OK, I have to go now, refuel my snow shovel and put a plow on my wheel barrel. :D!

Keep it safe this weekend!

Sybex7254

I have seen quite a bit of work being done in this regard however the mode is being listed as "FMN" instead of "NFM". Not sure if this is by design or simply an input entry error. Just thought it was odd.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I have seen quite a bit of work being done in this regard however the mode is being listed as "FMN" instead of "NFM". Not sure if this is by design or simply an input entry error. Just thought it was odd.

That's the way Lindsay has the database set up. We input the mode of a conventional channel as a 1-digit code, we can't control how it shows up on-screen...

Status
Not open for further replies.