• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Narrow Banding questions -

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbpd719

Hi folks -

I have been tasked at work to develop a "white paper" regarding the 2011 / 2018 rebanding issues.

Does anyone have a good idea of where to start? I am posting this here because I am sure this mandate will cause major changes to the databases here..

Thanks

lbpd719

Another good source =) thank you.. The fun part for me will be getting this into an administrator readable form.. Anyone have any recent migration info they care to share?

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Well in short, in 2013, less than 5 years from now, all part 90 users (you) will be required to modify thier radio systems to use less spectrum, or narrowband. This change is helping to free up some badly needed spectrum around the country. For most agencies to narrowband it requires equipment changes of receivers and repeaters and also portables and mobiles. Most equipment that has been manufactured in the last 10 years is capable of narrowband operation, and just needs to be programmed. An examination of your system by your radio shop or outside consultant can help determine what your needs are to convert to narrowband. Many agenies are using this opportunity to fund a capital project to improve coverage and reliability of their systems.

mrdinks

Go to the FCC web page and search, We just went through the narrow banding and there is a lot of info about it.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Nick Ruark over at the PublicWirelessForum at Yahoogroups has a paper about narowbanding that he shares freely. Check the Files at that group. It might be exactly what you are looking for. Peter sz

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure if the terminology is clear here. I think that the FCC uses -

'reconfiguration' in connection with moving the public safety users at 866 thru 869 Mhz to 851 thru 855 Mhz

'narrowbanding' to indication the conversion of channels between 150 Mhz and ? 506 Mhz to 11K3F3E "narrowband" emissions

refarming - ?? - changing channel spacing and mountain top ERPs between 150 Mhz and 506 Mhz

rebanding - ???

Just something to keep in mind as you do your research.

Peter Sz

AlanTilles

Quick Clarification

Well in short, in 2013, less than 5 years from now, all part 90 users (you) will be required to modify thier radio systems to use less spectrum, or narrowband. This change is helping to free up some badly needed spectrum around the country. For most agencies to narrowband it requires equipment changes of receivers and repeaters and also portables and mobiles. Most equipment that has been manufactured in the last 10 years is capable of narrowband operation, and just needs to be programmed. An examination of your system by your radio shop or outside consultant can help determine what your needs are to convert to narrowband. Many agenies are using this opportunity to fund a capital project to improve coverage and reliability of their systems.

Just one quick clarification. It is not ALL Part 90 channels that must narrowband. Basically, we're only talking about the VHF and UHF bands. Narrowbanding does NOT apply to: (1) the 150 and 450 MHz paging-only channels; (2) the 800 MHz band; and (3) the 900 MHz band.

I believe that this is an important issue to bring up, repeatedly, as some salesman have gone to 800 MHz licensees and said that the licensee should move to 150 (or 450) because they had to narrowband their 800 MHz system anyway, which is not true.

Alan

nbruark

Re: Narrowbanding Questions

You (and others interested in the Part 90 narrowbanding mandate) might want to check out
the following links:

LMR Narrowbanding information (a Yahoo! group) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LMR_Narrowbanding

and

http://www.qualitymobile.com/NarrowbandReady.htm

http://www.qualitymobile.com/Part90NBNav.htm

BTW - the official date for Part 90 narrowbanding compliance is 2013

NR

Hi folks -

I have been tasked at work to develop a "white paper" regarding the 2011 / 2018 rebanding issues.

Does anyone have a good idea of where to start? I am posting this here because I am sure this mandate will cause major changes to the databases here..

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.