• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Narrow/Wide band question - VX-600

Status
Not open for further replies.

arittner

I just bought a Vertex VX-600 VHF for use at my job at a commercial ambulance company. I have the programming software, and it has an option for each frequency to be narrow or wide band. I understand (more or less) the narrow band rebanding issue, but for my purposes does it make a difference, performance-wise, if I set a channel to narrow or wide band? The frequencies in question are such as 155.355, 154.310, etc. None which really seem to require being set as narrow band.

I'm mostly curious if it will make a difference in the way it transmits, or how well it receives in various environments, etc.

Thanks!

Andrew

auxscan

I just bought a Vertex VX-600 VHF for use at my job at a commercial ambulance company. I have the programming software, and it has an option for each frequency to be narrow or wide band. I understand (more or less) the narrow band rebanding issue, but for my purposes does it make a difference, performance-wise, if I set a channel to narrow or wide band? The frequencies in question are such as 155.355, 154.310, etc. None which really seem to require being set as narrow band.

I'm mostly curious if it will make a difference in the way it transmits, or how well it receives in various environments, etc.

Thanks!

Andrew

just set it for wideband "W" on the software. narrowband "N" is you usaully set to frequencies set 4 or 5 digits away from the point like 466.6875 or 462.98125. wideband would be 467.675. i believe this would be the same for VHF like 151.1075 would be narrowband and 151.820 would be wideband.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The frequency has nothing to do with it anymore. Narrowband operations can be on any frequency from the old 15KHz to the new 7.5KHz separation. In theory, once the deadline for Narrowbanding passes, everyone will be narrow (yeah, right)

You would need to ask whoever gave you permission to be on the system for the info. That way they could also tell you of any other requirements they have for the system such as time out timer settings, any ID (MDC1200), etc.

chris

arittner

Thanks for the replies. When I wrote the original message, I was just programming my radio and hadn't used it at work yet. Given the age and condition of most of the radios at work, and the radio system itself, I took an educated guess and went with wideband. It seems to work fine, no volume issues, so I'm guessing I'm all good for now.

What I was trying to get at in the first post was whether there was any performance difference between narrow and wide. As in, would a narrowband signal be better or worse at transmitting out of a building, are there range differences, etc. The more I read about it, I'm guessing that narrow or wide has nothing to do with that kind of performance. But if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me!

Thanks again,

Andrew

auxscan

I havent seen a problem in VHF for the Narrow or Wideband option according to my VHF Saber, but it deffenety shows in UHF. audio is a bit lower in narrowband and interfence is also greater in narrowband for UHF in my vx-800.

Status
Not open for further replies.