Narrow / Wide Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiotrack1

Feed Provider
I have been told as of Jan 1 2013 that all radios will have to be programmed as narrow band. How will this affect ham radio operators with radios that are not narrow band compliant?

K9WG

On Ham bands it won't matter at all. Amateur Radio does not fall under narrow banding as Hams do not operate on assigned frequencies.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Narrowbanding only applies to VHF High and UHF frequencies in the part 90 spectrum. Amateur radio, GMRS, VHF Marine band and some pager frequencies are not affected by this.

The only way this will impact amateur radio operators is that there is a increased level of older commercial radio gear hitting the market. If you were interested in purchasing commercial gear for amateur or GMRS use, now is a good time to go shopping.

Flatshovel

I have a question as well regarding narrow banding. Does this effect the MURS band at all? I have a couple of older MURS radios that I don't want to part with and enjoy using them from time to time on this band. So my question is how is this going to affect the current MURS users?

Joey

nd5y

I have a question as well regarding narrow banding. Does this effect the MURS band at all? I have a couple of older MURS radios that I don't want to part with and enjoy using them from time to time on this band. So my question is how is this going to affect the current MURS users?

Joey

151.82, 151.88 and 151.94 have been narrowband since MURS was created.
154.57 and 154.6 can be either wideband or narrowband.

Narrowbanding ONLY affects Part 90 services. MURS is Part 95.

Narrowbanding - The RadioReference Wiki
Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) | FCC.gov

Status
Not open for further replies.