Narrowband VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
In addition to using my mobile Yaesu 7900 for amateur use, I also enjoy monitoring public safety VHF and UHF on it. Now that public safety VHF stations are rewquired to convert to narrowband (e.g. 151.2575) by 2013, does anyone know of an Icom or any brand that will accommodate ALL of the narrowband frequencies? The 7800/7900s will do SOME of them but I'd love to find one that will do ALL without having to buy a VHF LMR radio also.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Your yaesu will do it...

You may have to change the tuning step when attempting to tune them in... Or program it with a computer

N8IAA

Your yaesu will do it...

You may have to change the tuning step when attempting to tune them in... Or program it with a computer

It won't do 7.5 and 6.25Khz steps. I believe that this is what Mike is asking. For VHF, the Kenwood TM-271 is the only ham single band radio that will do the 7.5Khz steps. Only other option is to search for the newer Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwood commercial mobiles for the narrow band steps. As far as the 450Mhz band, they will stay at 12.5Khz steps. Oh, by the way, Hey Mike!
Larry

rescuecomm

The problem is not narrowband, it is that the radios won't be able to program some of the new in-between frequencies being used. The ham radios will only step in 5 khz or 12.5 khz steps and some of the new frequencies are between those. (Except the KW 271 as mentioned). That is what N8IAA is saying. The lastest commercial or public safety radios have that ability, but no dual band mobiles that anyone can afford.

Bob

AA4TX

It is a bit overkill for just UHF and VHF, and the 100 channel memory is limited, but the FT-857D will do the PLL steps necessary to properly receive the new narrowband VHF frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.