Narrowband

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDS-INC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i just saw in the wiki that there are VHF Narrowband freqs for RR use, does the RR use these yet and in what areas?

SCPD

QRT
What do you mean by "does RR use them"?? RR doesn't "invent " frequencies.. they use what the users submit to the database & are valid FCC allocations, spacing etc

DPD1

I recall a few people reporting the new ones being used on rare occasion in a few places. I forget where exactly.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Makers of the "TrainTenna" Rail Radio Band Antenna

DODGEIT

The railroads have until January of 2013 to replace any radios that are not narrowbanded. It doesn't mean that they have to use the new narrowband frequencies just then but they have to be ready to use them. Most radios sold to the railroads in the last few years already meet this new standard. Narrowbanding is the narrowing of the gap or spread in frequencies between channels. The link below provides a graph that explains this somewhat. http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/plmrs/images/vhfband.jpg
With railroads going to more data and train control systems they will need extra frequencies to do this.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
The railroads have until January of 2013 to replace any radios that are not narrowbanded. It doesn't mean that they have to use the new narrowband frequencies just then but they have to be ready to use them. Most radios sold to the railroads in the last few years already meet this new standard. Narrowbanding is the narrowing of the gap or spread in frequencies between channels. The link below provides a graph that explains this somewhat. http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/plmrs/images/vhfband.jpg
With railroads going to more data and train control systems they will need extra frequencies to do this.

I got the opportunity to look at a programming file for BNSF's new ht's and they're programming narrowband.

My new HT is narrowband capaible.

timkilbride

Database Admin
We have some locomotive radios that have all the new channels. I remember typing in 1-7-3-1-7-3 and the radio accepted it.

Tim K.

In order to talk to Sioux City Yardmaster, we must dial in 175-175 into the Moto upon passing Homer Ne. for yarding instructions. Only narrowband I know of over the BNSF, but it has been reported BNSF Sioux City is testing P25 also.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
In order to talk to Sioux City Yardmaster, we must dial in 175-175 into the Moto upon passing Homer Ne. for yarding instructions. Only narrowband I know of over the BNSF, but it has been reported BNSF Sioux City is testing P25 also.

I can see it now, some of these old heads replacing their 8 channel moto HT's...

Like teaching grandma how to use the internet.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just to avoid confusion, "narrow band" simply means less than standard frequency deviation so a signal occupies less bandwidth. "Narrow banding" seems to have clouded the issue so the crux of it is by narrowing the signal they're able to create new channels (having 4 digits after the decimal point) in between the standard assignments thus doubling the number of channels available in any given band. For what it's worth the process started decades ago and we used to call them "splinter channels".

timkilbride

Database Admin
O man i even hate that word "Nexterna" they suck bad!!!!!!!!!!

Don't those nexterna's have an adjustable squlech? What is bad about them? Maybe they are using a lower quality antenna? Those firecracker antenna's arn't the best in world either. I had my car next to a locomotive once, I could hear a train getting a warrant, I was picking up both sides of the convo, while the locomotive was only hearing the dispatcher.

Astro25

I suppose there isn't much use in replying to the thread... the OP's question has been answered, and he's been banned.

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.