"Narrowbanding" and Ameatur Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

cquirk

Narrow Band

I have several Yaesu FT8800 and a FT8900 all will work the way you describe. Most of the current amateur radios can run narrow

W2NJS

You're right, of course, about the 35 question threshhold for knowledge, and I should probably be more tolerant. As a good friend often reminds me, "We were all new to this at one time." Still and all, I am reminded of an actual inquiry that appeared a few years on a Ham board that is now defunct. As I recall the post it said (and this is pretty accurate), "I just got my license; now can someone please tell me the frequencies I'm allowed to operate on?" That kind of question is just plain unbelievable.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Still and all, I am reminded of an actual inquiry that appeared a few years on a Ham board that is now defunct. As I recall the post it said (and this is pretty accurate), "I just got my license; now can someone please tell me the frequencies I'm allowed to operate on?" That kind of question is just plain unbelievable.

Is it? Back in the day, a new licensee asked his Elmer, and the Elmer just told him. Now the question is posed on the internet, and everyone calls the new guy an idiot.

W2NJS

No, the question IS unbelievable, because you asked your Elmer the question BEFORE you took the exam and you knew and answer BEFORE you took the exam. At one time the Technician and the General Class written exam were exactly the same, the only difference being the 13 WPM code test, but apparently the Tech exam has been dumbed down by some amount since then.

N0BDW

You are still expected to know where you can operate in order to get a technician ticket. Some people skip that chapter and still manage to get the license. It's not hard to do. That being said, I'd rather they asked rather than just operating wherever they felt like it. Wouldn't you?
I'd rather not bemoan someone who is trying to learn, regardless of if they should already know the information or not.

canav844

Most of the current amateur radios can run narrow

Pretty much any commercially marketed FCC approved radio in the past 10 years is capable of it. And as the equipment filters down to surplus markets, we'll be glad we have the ability to make the switch; and well down the road narrowbanding might be something that'll be more common and free up some repeater pair space on the 2m/70cm bands. AM used to be popular and FM was rare, public safety surplus/adapted equipment and now everyone's got FM and you've got to do a little work to find someone marketing a new AM/SSB rig for 2m:lol:

Not sure if I'm missing something critical but I completely missed this turned into a now there's no code on the test so hams are idiots thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.