• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NAS Systems and Operational Systems Together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Okay, so I’ve read the ‘ghost radio’ document and I realize that an abundance of caution is required, but is it really REALLY necessary to unmap PTT in keypads (XG100M-CH721) or uncheck PTT in options (XG100P)? Is unchecking Transmit in the group set and setting auto-registration to Never in the system really not enough?

I need to be able to NAS the whole DTRS but I need to affiliate with one system containing the TGs I’m assigned. I also need to be able to use conventional systems for ham repeaters and commercial channels. I know how to create the personality the way I want it, I just don’t understand why it’s necessary to disable PTT if I’m already telling the group set not to TX and telling the system not to register. Am I missing something?

-B

Muxlow

Super Secret
Never have i had an issue going back to 2000 with any GE (onward with their 44 name changes) radios by just checking off the TX button in the group section and setting the registration to none.
So id say your eh ok

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Great! I figured that the document I have was just being overly cautious, but since disabling these things happen globally, it’s also really inconvenient! Now I’ll be able to combine personalities/mission plans and make things operate much more smoothly.

Thanks,
Brian

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I would say if you not a radio tech and have no clue....Forget it.....
LOL Thanks! I do have many clues… I’ve been doing this for a bit… however, take for example, the thread in the Moto forum right now where they are arguing about what ‘TX Inhibit’ actually means. Those folks are mostly techs to various degrees and are still arguing and getting confused about how various radios work and when they will or will not affiliate. Therefore, I’m double checking that not checking the “transmit” box really does what one would expect. I appreciate your “concern” LOL!

Many thanks to those that gave useful answers.

-B

P.S. Mods, I have my answer. Feel free to close this thread if you would like!

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
If you uncheck Calls, Transmit and Auto-Login, your radio will never transmit on account of you pushing anything.

None of those will stop the radio from responding to a private call or affiliation request mind you.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Or selective inhibit commands. I've successfully zapped my XL-200p and XL-185p from my NM client when auto-login disabled.
So in the case of a private call, an affiliation request or selective inhibit, one would need a list of unassigned LIDs and then guess the LID of a NAS radio (or try them at random) to perform this operation? This would then inhibit, call, or affiliate any radio on the control channel with that LID regardless of TG?

Also, how about declare emergency? Will declaring an emergency still TX when a radio TG is set to receive only and affiliation is set to never? I’m using the “Conventional/Home” option on my NAS systems so declaring an emergency always does so on a particular channel/TG of my choosing, but if I wasn’t using that option, would declaring an emergency still TX on the selected/scanned system?

Thanks for reading!

-B

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
So after speaking with some of the administrators who worked to create and maintain the CO DTRS, I think I have the declare emergency thing all figured out. We also talked about inhibiting unaffiliated radios. Very interesting discussion! Glad you brought it up @MTS2000des !!!

Being able to scan trunked, P25C, and analog all at once will be a huge help to us. We will now be able to communicate with the Reach helos, the VHF commercial and ham repeaters, and the trunked system from a single radio. Everything SAR uses in one place, scanned at the same time!

-B

Status
Not open for further replies.