NASA communication on Amateur band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbelter

I would appreciate any information regarding amateur repeaters to dedicate a frequency to listen to the NASA communications? During the shuttle deployment , we were able to listen to the daily non sensitive communication between Huston and shuttle through our local 2 M amateur repeaters and many times on board amateur radios were used. I however, I have not been able to obtain any info locally and was interested in any such re broadcasting during the upcoming May 27th ISS mission.

Last edited:

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I’ve never heard of anything like that. I don’t believe it’s legal either which may be why it doesn’t happen any more.

mm

It's legal to rebroadcast shuttle, iss and other NASA COMMS HAM RADIO RELATED.

NASA SHUTTLE audio has been carried on numerous 2 and 70cm repeaters here in Arizona and in California for the past 20 plus years.

Typically they only rebroadcast ham radio related missions and our main source is ham clubs at JPL, (JET PROPULSION LAB).

blackbelter

It's legal to rebroadcast shuttle, iss and other NASA COMMS HAM RADIO RELATED.

NASA SHUTTLE audio has been carried on numerous 2 and 70cm repeaters here in Arizona and in California for the past 20 plus years.

Typically they only rebroadcast ham radio related missions and our main source is ham clubs at JPL, (JET PROPULSION LAB).
Thanks for your response.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Goddard Space Flight Center Amateur Radio Club used to put NASA Shuttle audio on one of their repeaters and onto Echolink so that other Echolink stations and repeaters could listen. That was years ago.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
97.113(5)(c) No station shall retransmit programs or signals emanating from any type of radio station other than an amateur station, except propagation and weather forecast information intended for use by the general public and originated from United States Government stations, and communications, including incidental music, originating on United States Government frequencies between a manned spacecraft and its associated Earth stations. Prior approval for manned spacecraft communications retransmissions must be obtained from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Such retransmissions must be for the exclusive use of amateur radio operators. Propagation, weather forecasts, and manned spacecraft communications retransmissions may not be conducted on a regular basis, but only occasionally, as an incident of normal amateur radio communications.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
I went down to Florida for a shuttle launch way back when, and I seem to remember a 2m repeater in the Cocoa Beach area rebroadcasting the Public Affairs audio. (The same narration heard on the TV broadcasts.)

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
The Goddard Space Flight Center Amateur Radio Club used to put NASA Shuttle audio on one of their repeaters and onto Echolink so that other Echolink stations and repeaters could listen. That was years ago.
I recall that relay on HF too - 20m in fact.

It was great to listen to in the days when NASA audio just wasn't available externally, other than the odd TV news clip or a special event relayed on a TV channel.

RFI-EMI-GUY

In past, I have been able to monitor a downlink used for telephone calls by the Cosmonauts aboard the ISS. It is in the 140 ish MHz band. When it is on it is powerful.

imonitorit

Things have change a lot down here since the space shuttle program. During the SpaceX launches you can watch many live feeds on the internet.

Other source of info can come from the LISATS ham radio group on 146.940 (locally). LISATS The Launch Information Service and Amateur Television System Sometimes they will follow the countdown as well with audio.

Local radio station WDBO on 96.5 will cut in about 5 minutes prior to launch for a countdown. They will also announce if the launch is scrubbed
Hope this helps. Nothing on HF as far as rebroadcasts. Maybe with the manned flights coming up somebody will step up and provide a feed.

N4DJC

In past, I have been able to monitor a downlink used for telephone calls by the Cosmonauts aboard the ISS. It is in the 140 ish MHz band. When it is on it is powerful.

You can hear the Russians during space walks too, 121.125 FM, 121.750 FM, downlink is 130.167 AM, main downlink is 143.625 FM.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I once heard a space walk from the shuttle days and there was bio-telemetry, ECG imposed on the signal.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
97.113(5)(c) No station shall retransmit programs or signals emanating from any type of radio station other than an amateur station, except propagation and weather forecast information intended for use by the general public and originated from United States Government stations, and communications, including incidental music, originating on United States Government frequencies between a manned spacecraft and its associated Earth stations. Prior approval for manned spacecraft communications retransmissions must be obtained from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Such retransmissions must be for the exclusive use of amateur radio operators. Propagation, weather forecasts, and manned spacecraft communications retransmissions may not be conducted on a regular basis, but only occasionally, as an incident of normal amateur radio communications.
Since nasa did the reboradcast, it is fine, only if done without permission.
NASA has always love public interactions.
They are the most open agency in the government.

w2dsx

Premium Subscriber
WA3NAN used to transmit from Goddard on HF, 20 and 40 meters. But that was long ago, I forgot when they stopped. And yes, being a NASA club they had the STA.

n5ims

The ISS also has the ability to communicate via the ham bands and do so off and on in several modes. They also use ham radios for their communications between the ISS and schools during scheduled events. Please note that not only must the ISS operator be a licensed ham but they also must be certified to use the ham equipment aboard the ISS. The equipment on the US part of the ISS failed a few years ago and ARISS worked to upgrade it to more modern equipment and standardize it so it would work on both the US and Russian sides of the craft (there are several non-trivial differences like voltages so it wasn't an easy thing to do). The equipment has been certified by all agencies and was recently delivered to the ISS. It's a low priority item but hopefully will be installed within the next few months. This should allow it to be operational much more often. Frequencies and modes are on the ARISS site --> Contact the ISS <--

Status
Not open for further replies.