NASA/Space Shuttle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Well, I coulda swore general frequencies of widespread interest used to show on the Database page but I spent quite awhile looking (perhaps at too late of an hour) for the handful of "general" rebroadcast frequencies that those of us with only a casual Space Shuttle interest could listen in on. I could have sworn there was something about Goddard Space Flight Center and I think frequencies in the 140-range.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?:confused:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi B and all,

If you mean the air to ground rebroadcasts the best place to listen is on a 2M Amateur repeater in your area that carries them. Streaming audio on the Internet may be found at http://www.kscops.com/ which is the most likely feed to the repeater to begin with.

Other related NASA comms are scattered all over HF so you need a shortwave receiver with SSB capability, everything is on upper sideband (USB). The frequencies used depend on propagation conditions and the distance to be covered at a given time of day or night. For more information the HF forum is the place to look, that ground has been covered many times before and there's LOTS of it, too much to put here.

Now you're pointed in the right direction, it's up to you to find your way. If all else fails your mother in law in the back seat will always tell where to go and where you can get off.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I see a boatload of potential freqs to try.
Just seemed to me that Goddard or the Maryland area hams were rebroadcasting key comms from whatever sources (space to ground) on something in the VHF range which made it nice and saved a lot of hunting around for those of us who are very occassional listeners to that stuff. Thanx

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Oh brother....

Goddard used to have a simplex freq 147.45 that relayed Shuttle audio during that period, but I haven't heard it in a very long time. They usually rebroadcast audio over the WA3NAN HF station - I'm sure Larry's NASA page has the freqs listed. That would be on the Military wiki, under the web pages article. 73s Mike

ScanManQSL

Premium Subscriber
QTH: Montgomery County, MD / Washington, DC
I actually was bummed out when I realized Goddard (147.45 WA3NAN) was not rebroadcasting the shuttle audio. They stopped rebroadcasting after the Columbia shuttle disaster.

On a side note and just a thought.....

I was doing some reading and came across some useful information.

http://garc.gsfc.nasa.gov/retransmission/shuttle_faq.html

Section J - Can I Retransmit Communications Between The Space Shuttle And Mission Control On Amateur Frequencies?

Maybe the Goddard Amateur Radio Club was not approved to rebroadcast the shuttle for the past few years or not enough volunteers to get it going again.

Last edited:

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
145.45 is probably the one we had in mind.
I was actually trying to resurrect this for a friend.
Thanx for the freq (but not its status), may it rest in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.