Nasal sound on transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Why do some transmissions of radio...weather radio...162 Mhz sound like the computer voice...tom...has a cold? I live in Pa...Harrisburg's weather radio is fine...but ones like Clearfield, Johnstown, State College (Penn State), and Hunington sound like he has a cold. The only thing I can think of are the mountains that are in West Central Pa. Harrisburg's is on a mountain, but there are not many mountains nearby. All of the other ones have mountains near by. If that is the problem...why does that happen and how? If you think I am crazy, I will post some audio files that compare them. I'm on vacation now, so I will try to post the "Nasal" one. I don't know if I will be able to post the regular ones yet, but I will try.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
About the side band...I don't use it that often because my antron could get regular am out just fine and there is already too much skip. See my pictures because it is up very high.

As for the two voices...here is a link to the national weather service ''national web page for every state''. It is on the voices. There is Tom. That is who it is. Now, what version it is...I don't know. It is not the ''young'' tom...craig...because I remember craig and the way he said knots..very roboticly. It is not pual. I know him. There must be a newer version and an older version of tom. In harrisburg...we have the newer version because he sounds better...in my oppinion. The antenna is also up very high. I think it is one of the best stations...wxl40...because it gets good range for 1000 wats.

jb872033

not sure why the 2 voices...here wxj42 in meriden ct there are 3 voices 2males n 1female voice....depending on the typr of report it is we hear diffrent voices

Twister_2

Feed Provider
I know what you are talking about. For the waters forecast...they will use the female...Donna. If it is regular...they will use Tom. If it is the time...it will be Paul(He is very robotic)

But still...I think they are the same voices...Tom & Tom. There is something different with them. I don't know why State College doesn't just use one voice.

Last edited:

KF4ZTO

Whats the difference? Does Canada still use actual human voices?

Back when they first changed to the automated system, it was almost humorous listening to the computer mis pronounce place names, but now its actually decent. I think NOAA's done a good job...talk about cost-cutting.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Maybehe has a cold when hes telling you about the bad weather coming lol
I hate their computer voices, they totally mess up on the sylables and whenever they pronounce something with the letter "e" its always high pitched

Twister_2

Feed Provider
I was trying to figure out if they have computer voices in Canada...but their website is junk. That computer system is also very expensive. It is like 2,000 bucks for it. It is, however, very worth it. I use the demo version on the internet at Nuance.com/realspeak/demo I use it for all of my answering machine greetings and I just fool around on it. Watch this one video on YouTube and see what I can do with it. It is like half way through. The beginning of it are my sons fooling around with caterpillars and my brother. It is the same voice...just in FM and distorted a little bit because of youtube. http://youtube.com/watch?v=zg_0mbmYC8o

It is a big improvment with the new voices. I also found a funny website that displays "Paul". http://pdaudio.net/dectalk/page/

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
LOL, I was watching that youtube video, I clicked it and it says How to burn catipillars and i'm like "what" then Monday monday comes on and i begin to get interested in the song, then I see these people with a gasoline tank and i'm like "yehh, i'll watch this". The I see a botched gasoline lighting for about 30 seconds. Finally I click and move to where the gasoline starts burning "yehhh" lol, the ending is where the weather voice is. I was so disappointed as I couldnt see the nests get burnt. wow what a run on sentence(tried to place some periods and commas, but i was never good at english puncuation at school.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Yea...it is just a simple panasonic dcmlz2 lumix. It has a video recorder secondary. When they fall out, it is very loud because they pop and sizzle. It looks like it is raining them. There are litterly thousands of them in a single nest. They are all gone now...it is too late.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Yea...it is just a simple panasonic dcmlz2 lumix. It has a video recorder secondary. When they fall out, it is very loud because they pop and sizzle. It looks like it is raining them. There are litterly thousands of them in a single nest. They are all gone now...it is too late.
I used to use gasoline on that, until the whole nest was too big and soaked in gass(my dad idiot) and lit them on the driveway, big mess, very fun tho

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Yea...a couple of days before this, I did this at a family member's house and I forgot to move the stick after it was soaked in gas to a safe distance. Some of the grass caught on fire, but it wasn't too bad. Notice my warning/Disclaimer in it. I will never light it not at a safe distance again.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Perfect Paul and Paula aren't so perfect and neither are you guys. Leave the gasoline fun and games to the Mythbusters, they're professional idiots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Perfect Paul and Paula aren't so perfect and neither are you guys. Leave the gasoline fun and games to the Mythbusters, they're professional idiots.

The female is Donna...not paula. We are not idiots...they are not idiots. It is serious stuff.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
I said I would post some samples when I get home...here they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEVhtfTV3w0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPn_pWsL-7g

I think I know the problem. For some of the stations, I think the nws 'overloads' the input volume before it is transmitted. The ones that sound like he has a cold is the correct volume. The other ones are where they put the volume before the transmitter too high.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.