NASCAR Headsets & Nextel Direct Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I want to go to a race this weekend with my son and my dad. I have the scanner(s), but don't have headsets. I see all types of headsets that allow use of FRS/GMRS radios, but that doesn't seem realistic at an event with potentially hundreds of people using the same product.

I want all three of us to hear the scanner (possibly two scanners) and I want all three of us to be able to talk to each other through the headsets.

I have several Nextel phones that have Direct Talk on them and I was wondering if anyone makes an interconnect cable to allow us to use these phones instead of FRS/GMRS radios.

Can someone point me to the best solution for headsets with intercom capabilities? I don't mind using a wired solution, but the Nextel idea seems like a good plan.

OCO

I've read your post a number of times and I'm still not sure of what you've got in mind. I think you want to:
1 - Take three Nextels, put headsets on them and then take a fourth Nextel, hook a scanner to it and send the audio to the other three via DirectConnect.
2 - As an alternative, do the same with FRS radios...
3 - Or - wire three headsets together and hook them to a scanner, but somehow also be able to talk through the headsets....

If any of these are what you've got in mind, there are obvious problems. Or am I not understanding your plan?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Here's what I'd like to do:

1) Have all three headsets communicate with each other (wireless or wired).

2) Be able to listen to one or more scanners through headsets listed in #1.

3) IF headsets are wireless, I'd like for all three to be able to talk to each other via Nextel.

4) The scanner audio/link would not have to be linked to all of the headsets wirelessly. As a matter of fact, the scanner audio could be wired between the headsets. I just want to be able to communicate between my family members during bathroom/food breaks.

OCO

Sorry - can't help you....you might find bluetooth "muff style" headsets to connect to the Nextels, but how you'd feed the audio from your scanner in (and then feed continuously) through Nextel Direct Connect is beyond anything off the shelf. Wiring the headsets together would require a control unit of some type similar to the motorcycle Chatterbox or Scala products - but how're you going to take breaks if you've wired everything together?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Breaks would be easy as unplugging the scanner feed. The scanner feed is seperate from the two-way feature. Heck, each headset could have it's own scanner for all I care. I just want to be able to talk to two (or more) other people through our headsets.

KJ6HCB

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
What kind of a race are you going to? I was at a sold-out Nationwide Series race in August and it really wasn't too badly congested.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
It's this weekend, so I'm not going to be able to have any shipped in time. It's the "Bank of America 500".

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Well, I didn't find out about the race until the day I asked on here, so I figured I wouldn't be able to have them in time. I went ahead and bought the Radio Shack intercom headsets. I bought the little race scanner too just to see how it works. I already don't like it and would rather use my 396, but the intercom portion only works with the little Race Scanner and it only allows for two headsets.

So I bought some jacks and a project box... Hopefully I'll be able to cobble something together so all three of us can talk and listen.

I'm scratching the Nextel portion and am just going to focus on getting these three headsets working in a wired solution to hopefully use the 396. I don't like the layout of the Race Scanner or the fact that it has no squelch adjustment.

KJ6HCB

Im sorry for it sounding like Im pushing his company LOL, as in actuality we had some differences in opinion and went our own ways, but the H80 headset has a built in intercom between the headsets that you can link up to either 4 or 8 to, as well as hook up a two way radio or scanner. Just documenting it here for others that find the topic.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Sounds like an awesome deal, I just couldn't justify the price right now for a one-time thing. That's why I'm racking my brain on how to connect the headsets I have without the race scanner. Maybe they'd be useful at the rifle range?

Status
Not open for further replies.