Nascar noobie needs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianGP

This is my first post on this board so please be gentle.

I'm looking to buy a scanner to take to Nascar races, here is the list of the ones I'm considering along with pricing, in Canadian dollars of course.

SC 230 - $209
BC 95 - $139
BC 72 XLT - $119

I also need a set of headphones, not the best but something that will do the job properly and no need for microphones, recommendations?

Do stubby antennas affect reception at the track?

I'm new to "trunktracking", is there a tutorial on this and should I be looking at scanners that have this feature?

TIA

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Insofar as trunking goes - I haven't heard much about NASCAR adopting this, but perhaps for areas that are around the track itself, for monitoring traffic tieups, ect. it might prove useful. Some systems allocate special talkgroups (think 'users' for now) for events like NASCAR, football games, ect.

If you want to get into this, our wiki has an article on the subject - just click on the blue link. Start with the 'Trunking Basics' first.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking

73 Mike

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
You will just need a basic scanner that will cover UHF. One that will to CTCSS/DCS would be helpful to block out other unwanted stuff. You don't need trunking. Stubby antennas work well. Small size helps help keep it from getting in the way. As far as headphones, something that covers the ears should work well. I believe Radio shack has something like that. Or at least they used to.

mciupa

Hi CanadianGP , welcome to RadioReference. :)

I would suggest the BC 95 as it is a 200 channel scanner plus also has the 800 band.
Some drivers use the 855 mHz area for comms.

blinddog50

Get the 230.
The alpha tagging will make it a more enjoyable experience.
As far as headphones go with the highest db rating you can find. Trust me on that.
I've seen David Clark headsets for as cheap as $50 on ebay.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Scanners with the PL/DPL is a must! Intermod is all around the track. Alpha display is also a plus. Instead of reading "8 464.9500" it can read "8 MARTIN". The vendors at the tracks sell the super small stubby antennas that help with the intermod. It's nice to have your headset to work in stereo (or at least mono going to both sides) as the track is loud. NASCAR is only on UHF (450-470), so you don't have to worry about 800 MHz unless you are going to other types of races.

Weather holding up, I will be posting the Craftsman, Nationwide and Cup series frequencies next week (I'm going to the Atlanta race this weekend with my Pro-96).

RogerH11

b7spectra said:
Scanners with the PL/DPL is a must! Intermod is all around the track. The vendors at the tracks sell the super small stubby antennas that help with the intermod. It's nice to have your headset to work in stereo (or at least mono going to both sides) as the track is loud. NASCAR is only on UHF (450-470), so you don't have to worry about 800 MHz unless you are going to other types of races.

I didn't use an antenna at the track because of intermod. A couple teams did use 800 when I went which was in the 90's. You'll want the big orange headphones that block out a lot of noise. You can buy them at the track.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
If you want to go the cheap route with headphones you can get a cheap pair of ear buds and then get a pair of ear muffs like you'd wear when using a chain saw. Put the ear muffs over the ear buds. Works well and is cheap. Not always the most convenient thing, but it does the job.

shumadine

If you have the time and the inclination, consider buying a used Uniden Sportcat 180 or Sportcat 200 on eBay so you could get the important alpha tagging. Then spend anywhere from $50 to $80 on good new headphones. You will regret cheap ones with little padding and noise reduction. Another $5-$10 for the stubby antenna and you should be fine. I can't imagine not having a scanner at a race, so have fun...

LordJ

When I was at the Poconos, I found my 92xlt to fit the bill just fine. Make sure you have a stubby antenna...I programmed the drivers by their car #....so Super G was channel 24 and scondary was 124. Also programmed the race control and MRN radio for some good listening. I personally found no need for alpha tags...You can get headsets there, but you can also just use your own earphones inside some normal earmuff style hearing protection. Radio shack in the US has a sale on right now for their pro 84 with headset for $50 or so....might still be on..hth

CanadianGP

LordJ said:
You can get headsets there, but you can also just use your own earphones inside some normal earmuff style hearing protection. Radio shack in the US has a sale on right now for their pro 84 with headset for $50 or so....might still be on..hth

I`m going to buy some headphones at the track from the RR trailer or whoever is there. I was after the RS back in February but every store within 100 miles of the border was sold out.

Thanks again.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
At the Atlanta race, Radio Shack had a booth set up. The fella there said they go to ALL the races. I bought the base $30 headset and it worked GREAT! He was quite impressed with my Pro96, said they are NASCAR events only and don't carry the 96.

Status
Not open for further replies.