Nascar

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have a few questions that I am wondering here.

first: I read on another post that someone said that the teams can use another channel to talk to the pit crew. When he said TEAMS, does it mean the drivers or the crew chief and them on top of the pit box.

This other channel they might use, would it be the secondary channel for the driver you are listening to that you find on the websites that list the freq's for every driver or the list that you pick up at the race track. Or would this be a different channel altogether. Let me know. So I can look that freq(s) up and then enter them into my scanner, so I can see if I will hear anything from this channel when I am at the race in Michigan in June.

Second: I am just curious here if anyone knows. When I am watching the NASCAR Sprint Cup races on tv. I see the Crew chiefs and maybe a couple other guys with 2 or 3 radios on them. Would the one radio be to talk to their driver, the 2nd one to talk to the pit crew and if they have a 3rd, that 3rd one to listen to other drivers or another driver on the same team. Or what would the 1 or 2 other radios be for. Let me know.

Also would anyone know what kind of radio's they use., Just curious to see if they are just normal Motorola UHF radio's or a different kind. I have been wondering this for awhile everytime I see them on tv.

So I will be waiting for any replies from anyone on here to the questions I just asked. Thanks.

Coolguy

hockeyshrink

When we talk about "teams," I think most people are referring to the organization, such as Joe GIbbs Racing, Hendrick Motor Sports, etc. Here's a generic organization chart of a "team":

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0904/rpm_nascar_org.jpg

If you are talking about an organization such as Joe Gibbs Racing, that may have 4 drivers racing in Nationwide, managers, engineers, and techs who support multiple crews/drivers may have multiple HTs going simultaneously in a race.

The frequencies you see listed and you can get trackside are primarily those for the driver and his spotter & chief. Sometimes you get other "alternate" freqs that are for the mechanics, pit crew, etc., but there are many more freqs used my managers, executives, and other administrative functions, not to mention the owner. You can search the FCC ULS databse to see what the freqs are, but would have to do some detective work to figure out their use.

Drivers typically use a Motorola HT "mounted" in a pouch near the driver, and powered by a dedicated battery. I have not been to the track this year, but I understand some teams are going digital and are using MOTOTRBO gear.

Enjoy the race!!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Ok I got that. So when you say ALTERNATE freqs that are for the mechanics, pit crew, etc. Do you mean their Secondary channel that is on say the freq list you buy at the race (like on that sheet it will show you 2 freq's for each driver, and that 2nd freq will be for them or is that 2nd freq just there backup channel incase their main one doesn't work or goes down for some reason.) or from the websites on the internet. Just confirming here, to see if I am talking about the same thing you are. Let me know

If these are the freq's you are talking about. Then I will have to make sure I have the SECONDARY or ALTERNATE freq's in for my driver and a couple others to listen to, to see if they talk and what they have to say.

Oh ok. So that is how that works for the drivers, is that they have a HT radio in their car. And I am guessing that is only a 2 channel radio or more than 2, so they can switch over to another channel if the main one isn't working or to talk another driver like for Ex: if Mark Martin wanted to talk to Jimmie Johnson, he would just flip the channel selector on his HT radio to the other channel and talk to him.

And I am guessing that is what the 2 or 3 radios are that the crew chiefs have around their waist when you see them on tv. And the one is to talk to their driver, and the 1 or 2 others are for listening to other drivers and for the mechanics and pit crew. Or for other stuff altogether. Let me know.

Oh ok good to know. So some teams are going Digital and MOTOTRBO or are some already using Digital and MOTOTRBO. I have a PRO 96. So if some are already Digital. I will still be good to go, since I have a Digital Scanner.

I will be waiting for anyone on here to reply to these questions. Thanks everyone.

Coolguy

hockeyshrink

...Ok I got that. So when you say ALTERNATE freqs that are for the mechanics, pit crew, etc. Do you mean their Secondary channel that is on say the freq list you buy at the race (like on that sheet it will show you 2 freq's for each driver, and that 2nd freq will be for them or is that 2nd freq just there backup channel incase their main one doesn't work or goes down for some reason.) or from the websites on the internet. Just confirming here, to see if I am talking about the same thing you are. Let me know ...

The lists often include an "alternate" frequency that can be used any way the team wants to on that particular day. It can be the driver/spotter freq, or the pit/mechanic freq, or whatever they want it to be. Companies that provide these lists (e.g., Racing Electronics or Racing Radios) update the list for every race. Most teams are pretty stable, but some change it up. There is also no guarantee the list is accurate...the frequency listed for a driver might not be in use in a particular race. That's where having done some research in the FCC database may help.

if Mark Martin wanted to talk to Jimmie Johnson, he would just flip the channel selector on his HT radio to the other channel and talk to him.

It is certainly possible for Mark Martin to talk to Jimmie Johnson, IF their onboard radios are programmed for it and IF there is a need for it, and IF there is not some understanding against doing that. However, I don't think a driver would routinely be changing channels on a HT in a NASCAR unless there was a damn good reason for doing so.

I monitor Dale Jr. and I have never heard another Hendrick teammate on his freq.

Anyone??

Status
Not open for further replies.