Nashville going encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian943

If I'm a juror hearing a case from secret police, forget a conviction from me. I sure wouldn't want to be convicted on such "evidence" and I'll bet most wouldn't either

whooey

I am going to Nashville 12/30-1/3

Is all Police and Fire ENC now? Should I even bring my SDS 100? Maybe some decent DMR scanning?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
All MNPD is fully strapped Encrypted. Fire is still clear dispatches for now.

scanmanmi

Nashville will not go clear again until the governing body for the new radio system, and the directors for Public Safety in both counties lose their jobs and are replaced by more open minds. Exact same deal in Knox County, as well as Birmingham ,AL, Little Rock and North Little Rock, AR and the New Orleans metro area in LA.
Did these systems get opened up? Is there a cost to revert open?

willminkoff

I provided the west and belle meade stream to bcfy for the last 8 years or so. Obviously I'm disappointed. I can't help but think that a police force cloaked in encryption will operate with one less level of accountability. I think the way to put pressure on them is a common narrative with the media that says, "what do you have to hide?".

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
LPD/FD is TACN. New stuff is posted. Dispatches are CLEAR.. Firegrounds and Tacs etc are Enc.

MattBNA

LPD/FD is TACN. New stuff is posted. Dispatches are CLEAR.. Firegrounds and Tacs etc are Enc.

Interesting... I see that now. Wasn't aware that they were moving off of Metro's system. They need to talk to Smyrna a lot more often than Metro, so I guess this change does make sense.

Thanks for the update!

--

Astrojoe

It's Just a Hobby
Premium Subscriber
I wish someone could come up with a presentation that explained the many ways encryption hinders oversight. Then have someone present it to the oversight committee. No matter how you feel about the oversight committee they do have the ear of many officials and the media.

LD723

I heard some one say that encryption was a sign of weakness lol.
:D
That is just dumb but encryption on dispatch channels wouldn't really do much for "officer safety" since many criminals that depend on scanners use garbage like broadcastify then encryption will be good for that said department that has their transmissions broadcasted for people in the other side of the country to hear. Encryption can also help to prevent ccr's from unauthorized access like what happens to the nypd once in a bit but encryption really does not enhance any sort of safety by much.

15plus1

I think when it went from someone who had to purchase a dedicated piece of electronics to monitor their local D/EMS/FD, to any swinging Richard who could do the same via an app on their smart phone, the End was near.. And people made alot of $ from that..

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I think when it went from someone who had to purchase a dedicated piece of electronics to monitor their local D/EMS/FD, to any swinging Richard who could do the same via an app on their smart phone, the End was near.. And people made alot of $ from that..

It’s called ‘barrier to entry’

Aspirin_Dispenser

Premium Subscriber
I wish someone could come up with a presentation that explained the many ways encryption hinders oversight. Then have someone present it to the oversight committee. No matter how you feel about the oversight committee they do have the ear of many officials and the media.

The oversight committee is an oversight committee in name only. MPD has all but told the committee to shove their inquiries where the sun doesn’t shine and there has been zero push back from the mayors office. The truth is, 90% of the voting public doesn’t care or know anything about police radio communications. Heck, many of them would be surprised to know that you can actually listen to some law enforcement communications right now. You can try to spin encryption as an oversight issue, but the most that you’ll get is a flash in the pan that will fizzle out as quick as it starts. Like it or not, 100% full time encryption is where we’re headed and the most that anyone can do is slow it down.

hitechRadio

A lot of experts here on officer safety and encryption.

Just for a second put your self in these agencies shoes, if that is possible for some of you.

Anything that makes them safer, I am for. So I am for encryption. (even primary dispatch channels).

And as far as oversite,,you really think the corruption takes place on the radio system, of which many TG's are recorded??? Nope, if any corruption takes place... they are using a cell phone for that.

You scanner listeners have no right and have never had any rights to listening to police traffic or any radio communications, police or otherwise. (remember FCC blocked cell phone frequencies in scanners back in the day. Partial, evidence you do not have a right to ANY radio communications).

Encryption is easier and cheaper than ever before, thanks to digital technologies.
Analog encryption in the past had many downfalls, coverage issues and poor audio. ( as in, could not understand a damn word you said). Digital, technology changed all that.

Besides officer safety, it also allows them to give very, VERY detailed information.. without the worry of scanner world picking up on it. Something they could not do in the clear.

The ONLY negative for encryption is sometimes interop with other agencies can be an issue, but that can be handled thru different ways.

Last edited:

Aspirin_Dispenser

Premium Subscriber
Just for a second put your self in these agencies shoes, if that is possible for some of you.

Most people on this forum are far more concerned with preserving their beloved hobby than they are with ensuring the safety of first responders. All of the arguments against it are total crap.

“Just leave the primary dispatch channel open”: In everyday policing, there is no such thing. Sure, there are tactical and administrative channels for routine and preplanned operations, but out on patrol, whatever happens on that channel stays on that channel. There is no switching to a tac frequency when you’re getting shot at, in a pursuit, or dealing with a barricaded subject. You keep everything where it started and move everyone else to a secondary channel.

“They can just use optional encryption or switch to a different channel to relay sensitive information”: You can’t have officers switching channels in the middle of a traffic stop to run a DL or plate. The moment the stop goes south, that officer is going to be yelling out on a channel that has nothing more than a dispatcher on it. None of his fellow officers can hear him and he can’t hear them. Now that dispatcher is having to play a game of telephone on two different channels. And do you honestly believe that officers are going to remember to switch their optional encryption on and off? It’s only a matter of time before someone blasts sensitive info over on open channel.There’s simply too many moving parts and too much room for error with either of these “solutions”.

“It’s an accountability issue”: Seriously?? Do you honestly believe that the wide open radio channel is where you’re going to catch bad cops doing a dirty deed? Of course not. Besides, ITS ALL RECORDED ANYWAY. And it’s subject to FOIA requests and subpoenas! This argument is such a lame attempt to try to spin encryption into the policing reform movements.

Honestly, it’s embarrassing how desperate some scanning enthusiasts are to be able to sit on their couch and listen to the cops run around doing the things they wish they could. The world is a different place from what it was forty years ago and there are too many sophisticated people out there that would seek to do us harm for us to broadcasting the communications of our first line a defense across open air.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
So, just shut down Radio Reference, and stop the sales of all Police Scanners. (yes, there are "other " things to listen to, but , sorry, for me and many others I know, this hobby is becoming a thing of the past.) Uniden will , most likely end production when the desire for its scanners spirals down....(due to Encryption) Very Sad.

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
What’s infinitely more embarrassing are the few who try to defend it with some sort of claim that encryption leads to officer safety but yet have zero evidence of the such. ;)
Three plus years aro, Lawrence, MA became a 'Trust Act Community', aka Sanctuary City. In the past 2 years, President Trump has pointed his finger directly at Lawrence, MA as a drug trafficking center for Eastern MA, NH and ME. The governors of NH and ME have done likewise. Just about a year ago, the LPD went silent on scanner listeners for the reason of officer safety. I have lived in Lawrence since 2001 and can not remember a LPD LEO being injured because of a radio call being overheard on public airwaves. The LPD has enough radio frequencies to dispatch in the clear on a delay to scanner listeners and allow the responding LEOs to use an encrypted frequency at the scene of an incident. I won't get into issues regarding politics, demographics, illegal immigrants in Lawrence for fear of being considered prejudiced. Just my 2 cents on the 'Big E; issue in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.