Nashville News Helocopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if there are any frequencies other than air traffic control that the news choppers use on a regular basis to communicate with the stations such as broadcast feeds or air to ground? Any help would be appreciated

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
I had been told early on that the WTVF-5 helo used microwave to beam audio/video back to base. I haven't listened to 450.450 in a while. Will listen and see if I hear any traffic.

123.025 is the helo aviation freq. Occ hear medevac there.

tnbound

Premium Subscriber
I get some chatter on 123.025 mostly with Medivac helocopters but I will try scanning the 450-455 range. I am to far from Nashville to recieve the ground station but should be able to hear the aircraft side. Thanks for the tip I will let you know if I hear anything.

eddiebauer86

Theres really only two news helicopters. Call signs are Sky5 and Air4. If you hear Metro1 or Metro2 those are the police helicopters. Sky5 does a direct microwave downlink with the station and Air4 only goes live on occasion. They mainly talk to the Nashville tower 118.6. They also talk on the other channel mention, mainly to keep from running into each other.

CalebATC

I do know most of the med choppers use a VHF frequency here, I belive it's something in the 155 MHz band. At my old house in Florida, they just used a talk group on the 800 MHz trunking systems.

Now for news, I would have to say that that would be microwaves, or close to it.

As said before, have the helicopter air frequency in.

nashscan

Theres really only two news helicopters. Call signs are Sky5 and Air4. If you hear Metro1 or Metro2 those are the police helicopters. Sky5 does a direct microwave downlink with the station and Air4 only goes live on occasion. They mainly talk to the Nashville tower 118.6. They also talk on the other channel mention, mainly to keep from running into each other.

Wierd. We just call it "air one". I didn't even know they had more than one. Do they call it something different when talking to ATC?

eddiebauer86

Amongst the police department, its referred to as Air-1, but when talking to ATC its Metro-1. They have an assigned sqawk for Metro-2, incase they have two up in the air at the same time. Its only on occasion that they would have two up at the same time. (maintenance flight, training, ect.)

Status
Not open for further replies.