Nashville Police Still Using Some VHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyB

I caught a faint signal on 155.61 MHz with a PL of 173.8. This was obviously simplex mobile. So, I did some research and came up with KIA231. If I remember right, this was the callsign for the old Nashville Police VHF system. It looks like in 2004, metro revamped this license to take out a lot of the VHF frequencies that are no longer needed, but left an assortment of mobile frequencies and a couple of repeaters active under KIA231. One of which is 155.61 MHz.

You may remember, back to the days of VHF, Nashville police ran a PL tone of 173.8 Hz on everything. This is all the more reason to believe that this faint signal I'm hearing is some form of Nashville metro government. As for what division of metro government, who knows! The traffic on 155.61 seems pretty informal and mostly just chat, thought it's difficult for me to pull out what's being said since the signals are so weak at my location.

On the repeaters licensed to KIA231, I haven't heard any activity in several years. One is 155.13 (the old Countywide repeater) and the other is 154.815 (the old vice repeater). As for the other mobile frequencies listed (151.325, 153.875, 155.67, 155.73, 155.85, and 156.03) I haven't heard any activity. I've only heard activity on 155.61. 155.73 is actually listed in the Radioreference database as Police Vice Squad. So, perhaps the traffic on 155.61 is vice. This is surprising as I would have thought all vice traffic would have completely moved to 800 MHz trunking.

Has anyone closer to Nashville monitored 155.61?

cowand

I caught a faint signal on 155.61 MHz with a PL of 173.8. This was obviously simplex mobile. So, I did some research and came up with KIA231. If I remember right, this was the callsign for the old Nashville Police VHF system. It looks like in 2004, metro revamped this license to take out a lot of the VHF frequencies that are no longer needed, but left an assortment of mobile frequencies and a couple of repeaters active under KIA231. One of which is 155.61 MHz.

You may remember, back to the days of VHF, Nashville police ran a PL tone of 173.8 Hz on everything. This is all the more reason to believe that this faint signal I'm hearing is some form of Nashville metro government. As for what division of metro government, who knows! The traffic on 155.61 seems pretty informal and mostly just chat, thought it's difficult for me to pull out what's being said since the signals are so weak at my location.

On the repeaters licensed to KIA231, I haven't heard any activity in several years. One is 155.13 (the old Countywide repeater) and the other is 154.815 (the old vice repeater). As for the other mobile frequencies listed (151.325, 153.875, 155.67, 155.73, 155.85, and 156.03) I haven't heard any activity. I've only heard activity on 155.61. 155.73 is actually listed in the Radioreference database as Police Vice Squad. So, perhaps the traffic on 155.61 is vice. This is surprising as I would have thought all vice traffic would have completely moved to 800 MHz trunking.

Has anyone closer to Nashville monitored 155.61?

Randy, I'm in that area often. I'll program it in my 5000 and see what I get on my end. I'm in Mount Juliet usually, and go into Nashville often.

151.325 will be paired with 155.535 and will soon be online with the Wilson EMA soon, along with another repeater (4 total), pending a PL tone issue and FCC license. There will be a few changes submitted for Wilson County in a few weeks.

There might just be a few VHF freqs still n use for the area of interest (i.e., less than 1 watt), but might not be in service too much longer. Vice OPS are encrypted with DES on 800. There might be unlisted talkgroups out there.

RandyB

The context of some of the traffic on 155.61 that I heard after I posted would leave me to believe this is vice. Still, the traffic was pretty informal. Perhaps all sensitive communications are encrypted on 800 MHz and VHF simplex is used as talkaround? Let me know if you catch any traffic on that frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.