Nassau County Fire Communications Center - Firecom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
I was wondering how many departments Firecom dispatches for. Also do all the calls go through Firecom or do they for example go right to the Syosset FD or the Hicksville FD. Also since most departments have their own UHF frequencies are the low band 49 frequencies used at all?

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Firecom handles all calls from 911. They will either dispatch the needed agency them selves or call the agency by phone and hand it off. Some Nassau FDs publish a direct number for their districts' residents and employers to call for direct assistance.
Just who are the FDs dispatched by Firecom, I can't say.

Darkstar350

As far as I know Firecom dispatches or is capable of dispatching pretty much every FD in Nassau...

There are some FDs that have their own dispatchers but I suppose if they aren't on duty or whatever firecom will dispatch them

and yes the low band frequencies are used very much so
46.10 is basically the county wide firecom channel you will hear A LOT of dispatching on there and they also tone out many departments on 46.10

i belive most fd trucks have access to multiple bands including the low band(ive noticed multiple antennas on some trucks)
there are also some other low band channels that dispatch specific battalions usually the channels are shared with a few battalions

I know that 46.32 is battalion-wide for the 6th and 7th battalions and 46.20 is 2nd battalion and maybe a few others...

what I notice a lot of times is that some departments will dispatch on their channel and then like a minute later they will dispatch again on a county wide or battalion wide channel

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
Thanks for the information I appreciate it. That's interesting, I will have to program in those low band frequencies. I know that Syosset has their own dispatchers just wasn't sure if the 911 calls went to Firecom first.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
You definitely want to put in all the low band frequencies for Nassau that are located in the RRDB under "FIRE". You will also want to put in the cross band repeaters.

Since your location is listed as "Syosset", 46.10 will allow you to hear what is happening just outside your community. A lot of the north shore towns still use 46.10, especially through the 1st, 5th, and 8th Battalions, where you neighbor. While some of the fireground operations are on department UHF frequencies, you will still hear plenty of activity on 46.12, 46.20, 46.22, and 46.32. That is also why I suggested adding the UHF Cross band repeaters in as well.

The list of departments in Nassau who no longer dispatch on 46.10 hasn't changed much in a few years, but there are a number of them that you won't hear down there unless they are making their Sunday Morning Radio Checks. Some departments will simulcast dispatching on 46.10 and their UHF Dispatch frequencies, while others will have firecom dispatch on 46.10, and their in-house dispatcher will repeat the call on the department's UHF dispatch frequency.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
You definitely want to put in all the low band frequencies for Nassau that are located in the RRDB under "FIRE". You will also want to put in the cross band repeaters.

Since your location is listed as "Syosset", 46.10 will allow you to hear what is happening just outside your community. A lot of the north shore towns still use 46.10, especially through the 1st, 5th, and 8th Battalions, where you neighbor. While some of the fireground operations are on department UHF frequencies, you will still hear plenty of activity on 46.12, 46.20, 46.22, and 46.32. That is also why I suggested adding the UHF Cross band repeaters in as well.

The list of departments in Nassau who no longer dispatch on 46.10 hasn't changed much in a few years, but there are a number of them that you won't hear down there unless they are making their Sunday Morning Radio Checks. Some departments will simulcast dispatching on 46.10 and their UHF Dispatch frequencies, while others will have firecom dispatch on 46.10, and their in-house dispatcher will repeat the call on the department's UHF dispatch frequency.

Thanks for all the info definitely clears everything up a lot of good information. Does Syosset also simulcast on 46.10 in addition to their UHF dispatch channels? Also I gather that their pagers are UHF instead of low band?

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I believe they still might simulcast in an initial page, but I'm not 100% on that. From what I understand, all or most members have pagers setup for dispatch on 470.1375

Status
Not open for further replies.