Nassau County PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
To expand on what "Nawton" posted above me, Nassau is currently using the P25 system to communicate, and all of the talk groups are encrypted.

As long as the patches are setup, you will be able to hear Nassau PD unencrypted through their old UHF Frequencies.

The UHF Repeaters are no longer being maintained like they were the primary method of communicating, so don't be surprised when the repeaters go down.

The Countywide 2 and 4 frequencies are no longer in use, and neither are any of the Tactical Channels like Tac-10. The same holds true for the BSO frequencies. The Highway / Esu / K9 frequency is using lower power, and the 1st and 7th machine has hardware faults that take it off line for days, and sometimes weeks. There are more talk groups for the police to use than there were frequencies, so sometimes you will hear them request units switch to the "detail" or "admin" channel. There is no mapping of those on conventional frequencies.

PD has the ability to shut down the simulcast at a moment's notices.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Which begs the question, why did the county go to all the effort and expense to encrypt not only the county police but the village cops too, if they continue to simulcast in the clear?

Good salesmanship by Motorola! 'Cause they no longer can say it's for the safety of their officers and to prevent bad actors from monitoring cops to evade capture after committing a crime. Heck, those bad actors won't have to spend the big bucks for a digital radio.

Oops, I ranted! Shame on me.

Anyway the system is not encrypted for fire and EMS comm's with Medical Control.
So there is a whole universe to explore as the system builds out.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Which begs the question, why did the county go to all the effort and expense to encrypt not only the county police but the village cops too, if they continue to simulcast in the clear?

I believe it came down to the fire districts complaining they could not hear PD. Each Fire House was supposed to receive 2 portable radios, but that was it. The Chief's cars and other vehicles would have been left in the dark.

From what I am told, there are some logistics that need to be figured out so that radios can be distributed to the fire services and once that is completed, the simulcast will be removed from service.

There is more to the story, but I'm not going to get into the details in a public forum.

Anyway the system is not encrypted for fire and EMS comm's with Medical Control.
So there is a whole universe to explore as the system builds out.
And even more when they expand into the 700MHz spectrum. The rumors are starting to show some truth. http://www.w2lie.net/apps/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?13015

Status
Not open for further replies.