Nassau Cty. parkway HELP trucks on GMRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter_x

Premium Subscriber
I just heard what I'm pretty sure are the State Farm HELP trucks on the parkways on 462.700 (GMRS Ch. 7 simplex) CT 141.3. Can anyone confirm? Doesn't sound like proper use of the band.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

It's entirely possible that like hundreds (thousands?) of others, they bought a bunch of bubble pack radios, with no clue, or possibly care, about licensing requirements. Or worse, some radio shop or in-house radio tech programmed that channel into their portable and/or mobile commercial grade radios.
*If* they are all properly licensed, and properly identifying, then it's legal. (Chances are really, really slim that there's an old grandfathered license still in effect.) If not, then they're operating illegally.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
You were most likely listening to Nassau County REACT. Info on Nassau REACT is here: http://www.w2lie.net/apps/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?1883 , and here is a global definition from Wikipedia: Radio Emergency Associated Communication Teams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The HELP trucks used to operate on a LTR trunk system several years back, before they were branded with the State Farm logos. I have since heard they moved over to Nextel (now defunct), and I have lost track of where they now operate.

I would expect them to hop onto the TRBO bandwagon and might actually have use of the OneVoice MotoTRBO network, but this is purely speculation. I haven't heard them on the system, but I haven't been able to monitor it during the 'drive time' that HELP would be most active.

Edit,
Here are the GMRS REACT repeaters in Nassau and Suffolk as per my notes:
Code:
Freq	        Description	       PL/DPL		 	 	 
462.6750	Nassau County REACT	206.5
462.7000	Nassau County REACT	74.4 - 241.8
462.6750	Suffolk County REACT	141.3

Last edited:

k2epm

Premium Subscriber
You were most likely listening to Nassau County REACT. Info on Nassau REACT is here: http://www.w2lie.net/apps/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?1883 , and here is a global definition from Wikipedia: Radio Emergency Associated Communication Teams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The HELP trucks used to operate on a LTR trunk system several years back, before they were branded with the State Farm logos. I have since heard they moved over to Nextel (now defunct), and I have lost track of where they now operate.

I would expect them to hop onto the TRBO bandwagon and might actually have use of the OneVoice MotoTRBO network, but this is purely speculation. I haven't heard them on the system, but I haven't been able to monitor it during the 'drive time' that HELP would be most active.

Edit,
Here are the GMRS REACT repeaters in Nassau and Suffolk as per my notes:
Code:
Freq	        Description	       PL/DPL		 	 	 
462.6750	Nassau County REACT	206.5
462.7000	Nassau County REACT	74.4 - 241.8
462.6750	Suffolk County REACT	141.3

REACT.... LOL.Those guys make me LMAO...when I see Nassau REACT I can't help but think of Geroge Zimmerman.

ipfd320

Banned
REACT.... LOL.Those guys make me LMAO...when I see Nassau REACT I can't help but think of Geroge Zimmerman.

What Kind of Statement is That-When Your in a Mess and No 1 Aint Around You but Us React Personell to Help You-Then What-

George Zimmerman--Are U Kidding Me-Thats 2 Different Entities

I,VE Been a Member and Dispatcher for Nassau React for Over 25 Yrs and Lost Count of all the Persons i Helped Along with the STATE and County POLICE Along with the Fire Depts thru the Years

Your Comment Dosent only Reflect on us in Nassau but the Whole International Community
Maybe You Should go to the REACT INTERNATIONAL Website and Really See What Were About Before Bashing Us

Nawton

I've had it logged for about a month, but I don't know when they started using it. Years ago, 47.14 was used by the draw bridge operators on the Meadowbrook and Wantagh Parkways.

Don57

Premium Subscriber
I worked for NYSDOT out of the N.Merrick and Freeport yards for 20 years from 1986 until 2006 . During that time the HELP trucks never used the DOT frequencies . I was never able to find out what freq's they used . Before the HELP (Highway Emergency Local Patrol) program was started we did a sort of test run 7 days a week during the summer months called "Reach The Beach" . We , the NYSDOT , would patrol the SSP (between the MSP and WSP) the WSP (south of the SSP) and the MSP (south of the SSP) . We did this for a few years and then they started the HELP program . When NYSDOT first started the HELP truck program it was run by Higbie Collision out of West Islip . I still keep in touch with most of my old co-workers and I know Higbie Collision no longer does it but I'm not sure who does it now . Next time I talk to the ones that might know the answer I will try to find out .

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
That might explain why they used to have a talk group on the NORCOM LTR system a few years back.

They disappeared off there right around the time that the trucks were branded with the State Farm logos.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Just throwing this out there, maybe they have official comms but use GMRS on their own as well ?

I mention that because alot of the highway dept's we take care of will have the county owned radios installed but many drivers will install their own CB or scanner on their own, and with their own money. I hear comments about XX county using CB radios when in reality they have a perfectly fine voted analog simulcast system.

They chose to do this to chit chat so their bosses don't hear them and they can talk about boobies without being recorded on the county audio logging recorder.

Just throwing that out there.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
While it's certainly not FCC-proper for them to use it for official commo, I'm all for highways responders having a portable parked on GMRS 20 or CB 9- I keep my auxiliary portable in the vehicle at work for that exact purpose, and I've relayed some otherwise un-passed comms to USCG from Marine CH 16 that way. That's a slightly different example, but I think it's relevant.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I just came across this. I've plugged-in 47.14 PL 141.3 and will listen for HELP activity. Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.