Nat Geo TV - Border Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
Saw this new program airing Jan 10th on National Geographic Channel.

Ride along on chases, rescues and busts with the brand-new series Border Wars, premiering Sunday, January 10, at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT before moving to its regular night and time of Mondays at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. NGC cameras were given special access to go on duty with CBP agents and officers as they use every means at their disposal — from high-tech stealth planes to basic wilderness skills — to track, catch and deport illegal immigrants. We are there as officers and agents race to save illegal immigrants from possible death in desert heat, uncover a shocking smuggling strategy involving children and find a cache of narcotics that sets a new record for a single seizure.

Border Wars | National Geographic Channel

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the heads up!

Better get TiVo ready if they have any radio display closeup shots :D

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Just saw it. All the more reason to build a 25' wall with razor wire. Increase UAVs and man power. Like the Hoover dam, it can be done. A combination of security is what we need. To me it seems like things down there are half-ass at the moment. I want to see at least 50 % reduction in illegal crossings!

That latest effort was a bunch of crap! Then we have a current Secretary of HMS who doesn't know what to do. Duh!

The Administration spends money on a bill to create jobs, pays six million for a company to come up with job figures in districts that don't even exist and we could put people to work on the border in defense of this country! These idiots don't have a clue how to run a country. It's all political correctness. No, we need a leader who's an absolute reformer and serves the people's greater interests. Make no mistake about it, the people have an interest in the border.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
The show is not new like they are claiming. It's from 2008. As soon as I started watching I knew I had seen it before.

Border Wars (2007) (V)

Not sure why the claim of it being new. Maybe they added footage..

Edit:

Looking further, that link provided appears to be a movie entitled the same, however, I know most of the footage from the first episode was a repeat. As my wife and I were watching I was telling her the outcome. Not sure what's up with that. It's a good show non the less.

More edit:

I think I figured it out. This was a NatGeo documentary in 2008. Looks like they decided to take it to a full time series and they probably mixed old footage with new.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1211642/

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Think I just figured it out! See, I believe Nat Geo has been in intense marketing mode for awhile now. Reviving an older show with a political nexus (for lack of a better word) gives rise to viewership. Then, slowly you can lower the bar back down to more of a Liberal presentation and view point of media. :lol: :lol: I say this because of a show I recently watched on Hulu about the Incas. Hulu - National Geographic Specials: Inca Mummies: Secrets of the Lost World

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Sure enough, the 9PM ET episode did have a closeup on the Astro Spectra in the officer's tahoe. It was too shaky but the display was all numbers (85#####), If anyone tivo-ed it may be they can post a screenshot of that closeup.

brandon

Database Admin
The numbers were probably the unit id of whoever was transmitting.
I really enjoyed the show. Nice to see some of their activity since we can no longer hear it very much.

drunyon

Silent Key
Sure enough, the 9PM ET episode did have a closeup on the Astro Spectra in the officer's tahoe. It was too shaky but the display was all numbers (85#####), If anyone tivo-ed it may be they can post a screenshot of that closeup.

I saw that. I copied down the following: 8602410

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
The numbers were probably the unit id of whoever was transmitting.
I really enjoyed the show. Nice to see some of their activity since we can no longer hear it very much.
Yup, in one scene you could see it switch from the channel name to the P25 radio ID. Too bad the vehicle shook too much to show the channel name.

There was another nice shot of the dispatch center with a decent close-up of a partial Centracom console.

Last edited by a moderator:

al95

The show on 01/25/2010 towards the end of the show they did a close up of the radio. Doing a slow montion play of the show I recorded the radio had the following info appearing at the screen of the radio.
1* BENE2 or 1* BENEZ
BP 0809
CBP RES change to CBP AES

What does this info mean?

Last edited:

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
I don't think the camera may not capture the display on the radio correctly due to refresh rate. But I think it was CBP AES (not RES), which should be the AES-256 encryption they use and you can see the receive audio yellow light double flashes when it receives a encrypted transmission.

The 5106777 should be the P25 radio ID number.

al95

I don't think the camera may not capture the display on the radio correctly due to refresh rate. But I think it was CBP AES (not RES), which should be the AES-256 encryption they use and you can see the receive audio yellow light double flashes when it receives a encrypted transmission.

The 5106777 should be the P25 radio ID number.
Thanks for the information. I will review my tape again. I finish reviewing my tape and your correct thanks for telling me my mistake.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
I think last week was the end of the Border War series. Tonight they aired a similar show but it is under the "Inside" series on the Native American ICE agents. I must say it was a very good show both perspective and radio wise :)

There were definitely parts of show where you can see the agent talking to Charlie 100 on his portable radio and identifying himself as Alpha XXXX, consistent with the observations that Alpha designators are ICE investigators.

Also you can see they have "G NET 5" on the astro spectra display in analog voice. I don't remember seeing any encryption used though.

SCPD

QRT
Hey Fella's - I need to learn to scroll past Texas sometimes.

Did anyone catch the Wolf talking to "Charlie-100" while he was out on the traffic stop?

Charlie-100 I thought was a CBP asset, Would that be a Dispatch facility? reason I ask, I hear that call sign being used in Dallas/Ft. Worth on CBP all the time.

Also am curious if 'Shadow Wolves' have their own Tribal Police frequencies licensed to them or if they are exclusively using CBP and Local LE Frequencies. I know Choctaw Nation Tribal PD in Durant OK. have two licenses of their own.

Last night's was a GREAT episode - Some wild stuff going on on our borders that NEVER makes normal media.

MtnBiker2005

Database Admin
El Paso Area CBP Personnel Featured In National Geographic Channel’s “Border Wars” Season Premiere This Weekend
Direct TV channel: 276
Dish Network channels: 186/886
AT&T U-verse channel 265/1265
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/news_releases/local/08312011_2.xml
http://www.ktsm.com/local/el-paso-cbp-featured-on-upcoming-border-wars-season-premiere

Immediately before the season premiere episode National Geographic will air a special edition of “Border Wars” titled "Seize and Destroy" that follows the path of narcotics, cars and weapons seized by CBP as they are taken out of the hands of criminals and ultimately destroyed. In addition to the season premiere several other El Paso-based episodes are slated to be broadcast in the weeks ahead during the fall season of “Border Wars.”

Border Wars : Seize and Destroy
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/border-wars-seize-and-destroy/EP012128410054

Status
Not open for further replies.