National Guard helicopters in Camden

Status
Not open for further replies.

NESN

CAMDEN, N.J. (AP) — New Jersey authorities say a 32-year-old Camden man has been charged with flashing a laser light at a National Guard helicopter that was assisting Camden police.
Authorities said Tuesday that Nelson Villalobos Jr. was taken into custody Thursday night.
He's accused of repeatedly flashing a green laser light at the helicopter, momentarily blinding the pilot. A police unit responded to the location and arrested Villalobos.
He was charged with interference with transportation and released with a summons.
National Guard aircraft frequently assist city police in tracking criminal suspects.
Villalobos could not be reached for comment. A telephone number listed in his name was not in working order.

Any idea what frequencies are used? I guess the reason Posse Comitatus does not apply is that this is National Guard, not regular Army, Navy, Marines or AF units.

Last edited:

Hooligan

Chances are they had a Camden PD officer in the helo, using a Camden PD radio channel, or Camden PD gave the helo crew one of their HTs to use. But unless it's a heavily modified helo with a moving map display, etc. the normal thing they do is just pick up a local PD officer who is therefore familiar with the ground, radio terminology, etc. & it helps avoid potential legal issues of the ARNG crew is simply providing an aerial platform for a LEO.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
The national guard air wing has been assisting in Camden for years... gosh, at least 10 that I can think of.

I'd love to know what frequency they operate on, I'm guessing a local band.

Status
Not open for further replies.