Nationwide Childrens System

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
I was doing some scanning and coming across some confusion in the database. It started because I found some DMR traffic on 460.0875. When I search the database for licenses on that frequency, there were 5 hits all well outside central Ohio. The traffic I heard was from a medical facility. Doing more searching I found the frequency in this listing: FCC Callsign WQWQ479 (NATIONWIDE CHILDRENS HOSPITAL) which is definitely for a trunked system. When I searched for Nationwide Children's in the trunk system query I found an LTR system with different frequencies here: Nationwide Children's Hospital Trunking System, Columbus, Ohio

Does this trunk system need updated? When I hear audio traffic I get CC4. I've seen two TG's. I need to do some more logging to get all the data. I was more curious if anyone else has logged this and the DB needing updated.

16b

Premium Subscriber
Can confirm they have a Capacity Plus system now, and that the frequency you mention is part of it. I don’t live close enough (or have a good enough antenna setup) to hear it reliably but I believe I was able to make a few notes a couple of years ago based on some limited decoding. I will check tomorrow and report back if I find anything useful.

Can’t 100% guarantee the LTR is gone but I feel like it’s a pretty safe bet. I was there a couple of times in 2021 and every radio I saw was a Motorola XPR.

16b

Premium Subscriber
Here is what I found in my notes; these were made late 2021 and I haven't tried to monitor the system since then.
460.0500 - first repeater (channel 1/2)
460.3625 - second repeater (channel 3/4)
460.0875 - third repeater (channel 5/6)
460.4125 - fourth repeater (channel 7/8)
CC4 on all repeaters.
Logged traffic on a few different talkgroups, but due to poor signal was unable to copy anything and have low confidence that all of the groups were even valid due to the possibility of false decodes.

I'm sure you saw, but that same license also has another site at the Lewis Center facility. I'm even farther from that location so I have never copied it. Don't know if this is a linked Capacity Plus system, or separate systems at each location.

What's interesting is that Children's also has a license for a DMR trunked system on business (YG) frequencies (see FCC Callsign WQWT746 (CHILDRENS HOSPITAL)). Back in 2021 I logged Cap+ rest channel data on 461.925 with CC2. Again, very poor signal, and I don't believe I actually heard any voice traffic, so I don't know if it was even coming from Children's. That freq is also used by the Crew as part of their Cap+ system, but according to the database they use CC5, not CC2. Might give those frequencies a listen, too, if you're in range.

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to start setting gear up to monitor and log. I'm in Pickerington and when there's actual DMR traffic it comes in at -60 on my scanner, decodes really well. I do hear some other data pulse on and off on occasion which sounds like either rest data or digital audio. But it's a weaker -105 and so far never decodes or even shows as data on the scanner. I doubt I'm hearing Lewis Center at -105 and it surprises me I'm hearing a transmitter at NCH at -60. There's a Children's ER at Diley Ridge which would make sense for -60 but I didn't see it in the license.

16b

Premium Subscriber
Bumping this thread because I have a better antenna/SDR setup at home now and have been monitoring this system with DSDplus. It seems that I had the channel numbering wrong in my earlier post (or it changed for some reason).
460.0875 is channel 1/2
460.4125 is channel 3/4
The rest and traffic channels seem to rarely move off of these two repeaters, so determining the channel numbers for the other two repeaters (460.050 and 460.3625) has been a challenge. I'm pretty confident that I have the first two correct as DSDPlus seems to be tracking the system well.

So far, for talkgroups, I have seen:
30 (sounds like security)
37 (also sounds like security)
40 (engineering)
41 (sounds like engineering/maintenance related)
60 (sounds like parking lot/garage operations)
145 (sounds like shuttle buses)

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Bumping this thread because I have a better antenna/SDR setup at home now and have been monitoring this system with DSDplus. It seems that I had the channel numbering wrong in my earlier post (or it changed for some reason).
460.0875 is channel 1/2
460.4125 is channel 3/4
The rest and traffic channels seem to rarely move off of these two repeaters, so determining the channel numbers for the other two repeaters (460.050 and 460.3625) has been a challenge. I'm pretty confident that I have the first two correct as DSDPlus seems to be tracking the system well.

So far, for talkgroups, I have seen:
30 (sounds like security)
37 (also sounds like security)
40 (engineering)
41 (sounds like engineering/maintenance related)
60 (sounds like parking lot/garage operations)
145 (sounds like shuttle buses)

Have you submitted this? I've been planning to monitor this, but you've saved the trouble! If you'll submit it I'll get it worked asap.

16b

Premium Subscriber
I was hoping to get the last two repeaters (if they are even in use) nailed down before submitting, but if you would rather I submit as-is I will go ahead and do so.

mkinkade

Premium Subscriber
I have in my notes that I've logged 460.050 as channel 5/6 with DSD+. I agree with the other 2 you've noted. I wasn't able to identify 460.3625.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I was hoping to get the last two repeaters (if they are even in use) nailed down before submitting, but if you would rather I submit as-is I will go ahead and do so.

Go ahead and submit; we can update as needed later. Plus, having the info out there might encourage more people to sniff out info.