NAU TRS OOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
Everyone moved to the new ASU / NAU a system few years ago. Flagstaff Fire mostly uses 700Mhz now. They patch dispatch & ops with VHF.

UOFA is on Pima System. Most likely the system will not expand south to include U of A in the future.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Everyone moved to the new ASU / NAU a system few years ago. Flagstaff Fire mostly uses 700Mhz now. They patch dispatch & ops with VHF.

Interesting. Did not even realize the "ASU System" in the Phoenix area, and what the DB lists as the "Flagstaff Regional Public Safety Cooperative Trunking System," are actually part of the same system (same sys ID).

Is there roaming access for users between them (i.e. could an NAUPD, or even Flaagstaff PD, unit visiting the Phoenix area access their home talk groups on an ASU site"? Or are they just leveraging the same controller for cost purposes but not otherwise playing together?

N9JIG

Sheriff
I agree that it SHOULD be down, but I need verification that it actually IS down to deprecate it. Sometimes they will transfer freqs from the old to the new piecemeal and leave the old system in place to handle stragglers with a reduced set of frequencies.

Does anyone know for sure that the system has actually been taken out of service?

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. Did not even realize the "ASU System" in the Phoenix area, and what the DB lists as the "Flagstaff Regional Public Safety Cooperative Trunking System," are actually part of the same system (same sys ID).

Is there roaming access for users between them (i.e. could an NAUPD, or even Flaagstaff PD, unit visiting the Phoenix area access their home talk groups on an ASU site"? Or are they just leveraging the same controller for cost purposes but not otherwise playing together?

It should be safe to say, yes on roaming. This is how most are intended to be designed.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber

I never noticed this either! A little over a year ago, the ASU system had some major changes. The ASU system changed from system ID 286 to 487, site numbers changed from 1-4 to 6-9, and talkgroup numbers changed from 8xxx to 18xxx. This all makes a lot of sense if the Flagstaff Regional Public Safety, and ASU systems have merged.

Can anyone confirm with links to documentation that denotes the systems as merged? If so, I will work on merging them in the DB.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber

I occasionally monitor the ASU system in the Phoenix area, but I have not heard any talkgroups on this system other than ASU. If there is roaming enabled between the systems, it likely does not happen very often.

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
No documentation. Just same ID & site # go in order. Missing site 5, it's either in Phx or Flag?

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber

DanRollman

Database Admin

Nice. How did people figure these things out before the interwebz.

Does anyone know the official name for this system? The document states that NAU owns the system, despite the City of Flagstaff using about 75% of the system.

It might not have a nice neat name. It might be known as "the radio system that NAU, ASU and City of Flagstaff share" or something really unsatisfying like that.

By way of comparison, see Cobb Regional Radio System Trunking System, Various, Georgia - Scanner Frequencies
A little secret - that's known as the Cobb Regional Radio System only to us on Radio Reference. You won't find that name anywhere else. Officially, it's just the "P25 trunking system that Cobb County owns the controller for and lets some neighboring counties who want to leverage their controller build their own simulcast sites and not have to purchase their own controller." More are being added. Just this week Cherokee County stood up Site 5 as a simulcast in their count. Cherokee County is paying all the infrastructure costs for Site 5, and leveraging that Cobb County controller. But there is very little actual roaming or sharing. It's just a way to save controller costs. Given its growth, we knew we couldn't just keep calling it the "Cobb County system". And "PTSTCCOTCFALSNCWWTLTCBTOSANHTPTOC system" (the acronym for the quote above) is a mouthful. So we renamed it the Cobb Regional Radio System. Who knows - maybe it will stick.

Similarly, my wife has never owned a car she didn't name. I've never named a car. It's just "my car" and I call hers "the blue van" (she hates that). She insists that not everything that deserves a name always gets one, but should, even if you have to name it yourself.

Anyway, thanks for the info on the new "Arizona College Communities Shared Radio System" (ACCSRS) (it's pronounced "ack-sers" by the way) (ha!)

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
ACCSRS is unacceptable to ASU and NAU communities, based on historical prejudices and the present status of both universities.

DanRollman

Database Admin
ACCSRS is unacceptable to ASU and NAU communities, based on historical prejudices and the present status of both universities.

Also why some things that need names never get them. :) And why this system is probably just called "the 487 system" among techs affiliated with it. That Georgia system I referred to really is called "17D" in official circles. ("Did you hear about Cherokee County? They're building a site and moving to 17D").

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
It has to do with University of Arizona alums who love to spout off that UofA is the original land-grant university in Arizona and everything else is simply a trade school.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Ha, my wife and I have both named our cars... all VW Beetles... Gretchen '00, Molly '06, Betsy '12, Liza '17, and most recently Martina '66 (my profile pic).

Similarly, my wife has never owned a car she didn't name. I've never named a car. It's just "my car" and I call hers "the blue van" (she hates that). She insists that not everything that deserves a name always gets one, but should, even if you have to name it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.